May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (NCTarheel, smp190, 1 invisible), 267 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,861
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lord Ripon, famous British game gun (over 500,000 head killed) claimed to have had 7 birds dead in the air at one time. Gotta call BS. Folks have worked out the math (assuming single kills, and high birds) and proven it's impossible,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Only one problem I don't think they ever held seven shells....

He may have had two guns and a holder/loader. Couldn't have done it with one.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Genelang
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Only one problem I don't think they ever held seven shells....

He may have had two guns and a holder/loader. Couldn't have done it with one.

He could have, by killing the last one after beginning to reload. Anyone who has ever hunted quail very much knows that there are stragglers that get up. This is not a rare occurrence, but happens often. Just because there is a covey rise doesn't mean all the birds got up at the same time.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe old Oliver (Olly) aka Lord Ripon used two loaders and a trio of Purdey hammer guns with ejectors. I think it was possible, he devoted his entire life to excellence in wingshooting, and kept himself in good shape- was blessed was great eyesight- like Harold Money, and Ernest Hemingway's father, Dr. Clarence Hemingway- which is a "must" to be able to shoot that well- hand to eye co-ordination and near perfect gun fit and balance. I say that Lord Ripon did indeed have 7 dead birds in the air over a minute's duration- as none of us were extant back in that place in time, we can only guess. As far as a computer model is concerned, well I just say the movie "Sully" and that deflates computer models over experienced pilot judgement, big time.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never owner a pump gun (just weren't interesting to me personally), and therefore have no experience with the Model 97; but obviously my reference to 7 shells is one more example of why one should never believe everything he sees in print. But regardless one less, or having only six birds in the air simultaneously would be quite a feat; and something impossible for me to duplicate. These days scoring a left and right provides all the personal satisfying I desire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunting stories are like fishing stories...the details grow over time.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
A local vet and friend grew up in Southwest Georgia with fabulous duck, quail and dove hunting. Pierre Howard, former Ga. Lieutenant Governor, was a little older than Don, but had hunted with him and was from the same area. Pierre was a crack shot who would show up at hunts and act like a city slicker and play the role of a newbie on a dove field with the locals. By the time the hunt was over, the locals were ready to throw him in the nearest pond as he didn't miss. Don hunted quail with him and said he had the knack of first shot doubling on a covey rise with two birds crossing on the rise and killing a third with his second shot. He saw him do it more than once so it wasn't dumb luck. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://youtu.be/xbCjcEO9z1A

See if this works, skip the ad to see a women handle a 97,no problem with 7 shots.
I've got a 1953 30" full that I love to take out every now and then to shoot a round of trap, pretty much 25 smoke balls every time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

She could stick a couple more in her mouth and get off 9 shots...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just like the Model 12, the Model 97 started life as a six-shot repeater with five 2 3/4 inch roll crimped shells in the magazine and one in the chamber. The new style Super-Seal crimp shells were just enough shorter that one could get six in the magazine, making them a seven shot repeater. Don't have one in hand to check, but that is what the Winchester catalogues from 1950 on state.

I do know I saw LtCol Dempsie Davies kill six Ptarmigan in six shots on the covey rise with his Model 12 in September 1974, and he said they flock had gotten just too far to try the seventh shot.

Last edited by Researcher; 09/26/16 09:50 AM.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.