April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Lloyd3, Jem Finch, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 1,015 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,131
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, I see a lot of wood where there could just as easily be metal. I imagine if it's like most French SXS's it's a pretty lightweight gun. What is the barrel length? Don't be surprised if it's an odd number, the French used metric measurements.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are a few more bits about Jean Edmond Roturier. His father Edmond Roturier played in the first ever Rugby game at the Foyen stadium in Ste Foy la Grande in 1909. (Aquitaine is the heart of French Rugby). Jean Edmond Roturier was born in 1911 and was quite a good bicycle racer. You’ll remember that there often is a connection between Bikes, Motorcycles and Guns in France - witness Verney-Carron and Manufrance. Here is a picture of the Roturier Cycle Shop before WWII.

Jean Roturier was president of the Foyen athletic club/stadium and celebrated his 100th birthday in 2011. (Balding guy...he would have been 51 at the time).

By the way, here is a mark on a bush hook manufactured by Roturier. Inscription reads "ROTURIER - A STE FOY." You’ll notice the lettering is the same as that on the sign on the front of the Ets. J. Roturier store at 41 Victor Hugo.

The shotgun engraving more resembles the font on the sign over his bike shop:

This looks like your gun for sale in a 2006 auction. It states that the triggers are gold plated:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/16-gauge-m-serre-lightweight-boxlock-over-and-un

Would still like a readout on the lettering on the barrel lock.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/11/16 10:11 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

The fancy back to the receiver and a different bolting system (looks like no top bolt) distinguish these OU's from Merkels and the ones I've seen made in Belgium (the latter both by Francotte and for A&F--not sure who made the A&F guns).

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

For Argo44, The first line on the barrel lock says "CHOKE KL(E)D(O)I(T)O_" I can't read the last letter. The letters in parenthesis are possible alternatives to the preceding letter. The second line says "HEURTIER" which seems to be a French surname.

The triggers appeared to have been gold but much of it has worn off. The gun has a fair amount of normal wear. It appears to have been taken care of but has seen extensive field use.

I checked the link you posted. Not only is it like my gun, but based on the serial number, it is my gun. Pretty neat to see where it has been.

For the Rockdoc, The gun is light weight 6 lb. 1 oz. It is very nicely balanced and feels very natural when I bring it up to my shoulder. The barrels are 27 9/16 inches or 70 cm.

Stephen

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stephen, Societe Heurtier & Cie (sometimes "SH&Ci" on barrels) is a renowned maker of barrels in St. Etienne. Heurtier supplied barrels to all the well known known companies, Manufrance, Verney Carron, Zapatto Freres, etc. I believe they expanded into other areas as well (cameras, bicycles) until in the 1930's they were a very large company. I believe they are no longer in business sadly. Larry might know more.

The other letters appear to reference the chokes...can't help you much there. There are not a lot of French words starting with "K" and they are usually imports from other languages (except "kilo" and derivatives). Usually you'll find on French guns after "CHOKE" the word "RECTIFIE." Check and see if this fits. Whatever, this is a St. Etienne gun.

Whomever bought your gun back in 2006 didn't do anything with it evidently. But it looks like it's found a good home. Really nice looking piece. I still think that if you're a history buff, you ought to write to the people in Ste. Foy la Grande...they might tell you who it was sold to etc. Given the prominence of the family, Jean Roturier was the President of the local Stade and Rugby team for 50 years, the records might still be extant.

And by the way, gold plated triggers? Pleaassssseeee. This had to have been a trophy or presentation piece and as such might be significant to someone.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/15/16 09:42 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 17.1 should be the bore diameter. That's about .673, somewhat overbored for a 16ga. Which means you won't want to try and measure choke with one of the "drop-in" gauges because you'll get a misleading result.

Agree with Argo that anything starting with K is odd in French. Might be a German or Dutch name indicating the type of steel used? Although that would be odd coming after "choke".

Last edited by L. Brown; 08/13/16 12:11 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The letters are very faint so I could be wrong on what they are. It is OK I guess. I will probably have to contact the folks in Ste. Foy La Grande to find out more. I am still looking forward to shooting it.

As far as the triggers go, I don't know if they are actually gold plated but they were a gold color at one point.

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stephen, I'm curious whether you ever wrote to Ste Foy la Grande about your gun. I'm tempted to write something for you myself or send you a French language text that you could mail. My curiosity is piqued by the fact I'll be visiting Bordeaux again next spring.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/02/16 12:11 AM.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Argo44,

Sorry for the late reply. I have not written yet. It has been a busy autumn. I would be grateful for any help. I hope you have an enjoyable trip this spring.

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stephen, WildCattle posted this on the French gun term line which looks to be the answer to your question about the M. Serre FT on your barrels. Hope it's shooting well.

"This is a Mr Serre Ft (Fabricant=maker) in St Etienne, e.g. a last name.
15 rue Chapelon in the early 1930s."

Since "Heurtier" is on the barrel lump, assume that Heutier was the source of the barrels, M. Serre put the whole thing together in Saint Etienne and Roturier marketed it at Ste. Foy la Grande. That's about as complete a history of a 1930's St. Etienne gun as you can come up with. If you write to Ste Foy la Grande they might even be able to get the name of the person to which it was originally sold.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/19/17 11:43 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.