May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (KY Jon), 733 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,643
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess that one question that perhaps matters the most is: Are you happy with your purchase?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi PhysDoc, I spent more for a new iMac and the Nikon camera won't be cheap either, but maybe I'll be able to post a good photo soon. It must have been the old growth European walnut that made my eyeballs bug out, the grain seems curiously dense, checkering appears to be 24 lpi. "Frankencustom" isn't really custom is it, but actually a production rifle created by old world craftsmen, don't you think? At first I thought it might be some sort of glorified guild rifle, but I believe your initial call is correct, the barrel alone is a puzzlement, it's all one piece, full rib, ramp front sight, half round octagon too. Did I mention that the rifle seems to be in very near as when crafted condition, although not much is available for comparison, I've really only found three guns that might be related, one bolt and two drillings, the bolt has sold and the photos are intentionally degraded, it's a Hi-Power 22. I saw another rifle with the same barrel by a more well known maker at x4 dollars somewhere. I'm happy with my purchase, the stock to barreled action fit is very fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good point, you can often resell a gun for what you paid for it or more, but you can't do that with a computer or digital camera.

You mentioned in an earlier post that the photographs on the auction site gave the impression that the engraving wasn't crisp.
What is your impression, now that you have the rifle in hand?

And how do you like the other rifle you bought?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The engraving looks as it should, it's a light type and almost every thing is case hardened. I read somewhere that case hardening isn't a very durable finish and rubs off easily, the floorplate is a little shiny, maybe not all kinds of steel take it well either. What really has me flabbergasted is that "The Thing" almost looks like it's been in a time capsule. There is a Simon Heim rifle in the Sedley thread that has the same barrel, express rear sight and slant cut fore-end. I don't know enough to have an opinion of build quality between the two, stock cleaning was the subject in the thread, one of those orange oil products worked well on a Remington 81, for removing a layer of grubby stock finish with a coarse paper towel. It looks like the separate slant cut fore-end piece might be easily removable, for barrel cleaning maybe? I have the correct bits, if the screws aren't tight I might remove it to see if information is printed on the barrel. The M-S Premier doesn't appeal to me that much, I'll try to write a more complete story in another post. I paid more for the iMac partly because it might be easier for me to use, since I don't really have any computer skills, six years from now it may prove to be worth it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.