Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#452191 08/04/16 02:18 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I bid on this one because I see something I like in four pictures. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/570887863 It was really a complete gamble and won't be in hand until next week. I'm curious if anyone recognizes the craftsmanship, I see some buffing wheel rounding on the extractor, otherwise it seems like too much effort to create a pile of junk. It's speculation, but this rifle may have belonged to someone from Cape Cod, the residents are probably upscale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I think you
got a great deal on this rifle, I don't think the seller's pictures were very good. I hope that you will post some better
pictures when you get it.

There is also a German & Austrian Sporting Guns section to this
forum, they are amazingly knowledgeable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tschinke,
When you have the rifle "in-hand", post photos of all the markings, including the ones under the barrel. We can then tell you more about it. BTW, that is "Krupp Laufstahl", which means "Krupp barrel steel".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Judging from the asking price on the "Griffin & how" sporter the seller also has listed, he has delusions of grandeur. His photography also leaves a great deal to be desired. I will be curious to see how this transaction plays out. The description of the caliber as "8X50 7JRS" doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the seller's knowledge of what he is actually selling. Let's hope for the best!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the welcome. Presently my computer skills are near zero, I'm no scholar either, so most anything I attempt to write won't be easy to read. There is something curious about my "legally blind" gamble, the stock is plain, but the rifle appears desirable somehow, I can't be sure, but after looking a while, the engraving on the floorplate and trigger guard doesn't seem crisp. The starting bid for unknown 98 was lowered three hundred from a month ago, the price tag on the G&H hasn't changed, I don't know much, but thought it was beyond the pale. I let two rifles I wanted get away from me a few months ago and it might be causing questionable decisions.

Last edited by Tschinke; 08/05/16 07:03 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Tschinke

I took another look at the images of the rifle, I blew them up a bit and saw that the bolt knob appears to be checkered and that the rifle has a Greener side safety. As for the engraving on the trigger guard and floorplate not looking crisp, that could easily be due to insufficient resolution of the sellers digital camera. One thing that is lacking is a picture of the butt plate. Maybe it will be a nice trapdoor butt plate or maybe horn like the grip cap appears to be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have paid more, for less..... ;-)

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eastham- Westham Northham Southham- they sure don't know the German language or spelling very well- Thanks to Mike, he hait "correct" Krupp Lauf Stahl--I have an idea where Framingham MA might be- a blacksmith there circa 1846 developed the first framing square, a key tool in accurate construction layout work, as vital as a level.. I'd pass on this puppy-- all fluff but no substance--like a Hollywood bimbo. If you want a real G&H sporter, whether on a Mauser 98 or a Springfield 1903, go to G&H-- simple as that.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I added my location, most smart people don't live here year round, the local gun shows aren't much either. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised next week when I look at it in good light wearing glasses. Something doesn't quite add up, a plain cut of walnut with fine checkering, full octagon or hex barrel, can't be sure of all or how much engraving, color case too, hope the receiver isn't warped, is that shadow or gap , timed screws maybe. I hope to be able post good pictures sometime this year.

Last edited by Tschinke; 08/22/16 02:14 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The maker's name is on both the barrel and receiver, CHR. FRIEDR. TRIEBEL on the barrel and CHR. FRIED R. TRIEBEL, SUHL on the receiver. The European walnut stock isn't exactly plain, horn butt-plate, full rib half round octagon barrel, heavy indexed or regulated rear sight dovetailed into the rib. The used military receiver put me off some because the bolt wobbles more than I like when retracted, eagle over N commercial proof, but there might be more to this rifle than I first thought. I'm not sure how old it is or if many were ever imported.

Last edited by Tschinke; 08/19/16 11:03 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.