May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, playing hooky, PM, 2 invisible), 1,101 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Vanilla or Chocolate
Ford or Chevy
Ginger or Maryann

And now a new imponderable

21 or NID:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Canollis

Maserati

Both

Bertuzzi

(How dare you post doublegun stuff here)

Sidelock
Sidelock

What I would do is buy old English fowler made in or assembled from Birmingham gun trade parts. Examples of worthy makers in no particular order include: Army & Navy, W.C. Scott, BSA, G.E. Lewis, Bonehill, WJ Jeffrey, Tolley,..... You will get stout shotgun with excellent balance and heavy proof along with very good fit and finish for a whole lot less than Winchester Model 21.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both are 12 gauge DT extractor guns, correct? I am guessing the M21 will fetch a higher price, due to the WRA mystique and the shadows of the late Jack O'Connor. The NID looks to my eyes like an earlier series (1926-1930??) as the cocking pins look to be beveled. I recently bought a 1926 442455 sn range 12- DT, Ext. Grade 2 12 gauge 30" with pad- fits me quite well, has the same balance and feel of a similar 1909 LC Smith Grade 2- that has always been my "golden mean" as to both gun fit and performance.

My opinion, and it is just that - the earlier NID's tend to have better wood to metal fit-up and checkering- the engraving- not a huge issue for me, and the engraving doesn't kill birds. I'd take the NID over the M21- assuming the fit, barrel length and chokes are what you want in a bird gun- and use the $ that you might have to pay to get a M21 in similar configuration to the NID- for shells for off-season practice, possibly a hunt on a preserve come Fall.

I bought the NID from my friend and Master Gunsmith in Grand Rapids, MI- Brad Bachelder- on his recommendation- and I am happy with my purchase- my first NID. I happen to have a 12 gauge M21- made in 1948- left to me by an uncle in 1981, after his passing, and I like it- but I wouldn't spend the $ the dealers are asking for a similar gun (12 gauge with SST and AE) field grade today (aprox. $400-5000 range) just because it is a Model 21.

Just my 2 cents worth- you don't know me, nor I you, but I am known for my frugal habits- I'd rather have a middlin' good 12 side-by-side and spare change for shells and hunts at area bird preserves in the late Fall, than own a M21 or a Churchill or a H&H, and be bereft of the wherewithall to feed it, so to speak.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

either one would serve well as a rainy day field gun.....get the one you feel better about lugging around all day.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Both are classic and as American as apple pie or strawberry rhubarb pie.
The English versions of Model 21 are the "Far Killer" from W.W. Greener and Jeffery's Zenith Gun.
The one that calls out to me the most is W.W. Greener 'Emperor' Model because the action has very, very few parts. As we can all appreciate in this over-complex world the simpler the better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are going to be walking a lot and carrying it all day I'd pick the NID. 21's are heavier and I tire of their weight when walking. If in the blind either one is fine. For bragging rights the 21.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster
Vanilla or Chocolate
Ford or Chevy
Ginger or Maryann

Always been a Ginger guy myself, but then Larry Brown had to bring up Dianna Rigg (Emma Peel) in another thread. Now I'm conflicted...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never been able to start a romance with a Model 21...Back in the early 60's I gave a brand new one to my Dad, He kept it long enough to be nice and traded it for a Parker of some sort. Like Francis, I see not much sense in buying the name, IF you are going to actually use the gun. I would go for the NID.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That NID sure looks good and probably costs a lot less than the 21. It would be a no-brainer for me, but I am an Ithaca fan anyway. However, I wouldn't want to carry either one around all day. That's based on experience with a similar NID.

But you should know that a bunch of guys I shoot with would drool if I showed up with that NID.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.