Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew - It's about time some of your exemplary work was published in some format other than the electronic versions - this is not to disparage your "Damascusknowledge.com" and others which represent countless hours of work by you as well as those from whom you have (graciously) borrowed hundreds of pictures, etc.

Nice work Dr. Drew - Congratulations Sir!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
this is not to disparage your "Damascusknowledge.com" and others which represent countless hours of work by you as well as those from whom you have (graciously) borrowed hundreds of pictures, etc.

The borrow comment brings me to say that many pictures have been borrowed over the years from this site and others. I haven't seen it yet and hope this Journal piece includes the names of those who came up with any pictures or dig.images included in the piece. Drew has thanked here those who sent in pieces of barrel for study. Good, but postings here are fleeting whereas the Journal hard copy is timeless. Again I hope the same consideration was given to the sources of any pictures in the Journal piece, real name or web name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had CB bothered to read the article prior to his anonymous sniping, his righteous concerned would have been allayed. But to give credit where it is due, directly from the text:

A.P. Curtis published the second of a two part article entitled “Advantages of Short Shotgun Chambers” in the March 1938 American Rifleman (Courtesy of Larry Brown) which dates the warning.

This statement is consistent with a 1948 letter from the Remington Arms Co. Service Division (courtesy of Chuck Bishop) in response to an inquiry by a Parker owner.

1907 Sears, Roebuck & Co. Catalogue No. 116 courtesy of Gary Rennles

Special thanks to all those who have contributed expertise or barrel material, without which this effort could not have been possible:
Dan Wildhaber, Mike Brown, Will Evans, Chris Helms, Phil Haycock, Jason Marks, Stephen Helsley, Monty McGee, Mike Novy, Dennis Potter, Joe Dreisch, Gil Russell, Bud Mondt, George Newbern, David Noreen, Larry Brown, and Steve Culver.

The information was tough to format in a magazine article, and is much more readable here. Kinda hard to provide attribution for 115 year old lithographs used in advertisements and catalogs.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LFnSG34k3mBhLEjEgU267wAlIa215MNVQZhIiY62Hx4/edit

I do not believe CB has ever posted anything worth saving, but as I have previously explained, if I have someone's image on PictureTrail or DamascusKnowledge without an attribution I would be most happy to correct that failure, or remove the image. It should be noted that MANY contributors requested NO attribution, esp. with images of valuable guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or, not.

Good work, Dr. Drew.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, as you know, you remain a credit and supporter to those who love doubleguns

I look forward to reading the article

Last edited by old colonel; 06/29/16 12:23 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

My copy just arrived! Looking forward to reading your article Drew. Thanks for all your hard work to dispel myths and further knowledge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember sitting with Oscar after he donated a 2 frame Parker for damascus blow up test. My memory says it blew at roughly 30,000 PSI. There were a series of tests that indicate good damascus was very good. I am glad to see the investigation continue.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill: Dr Gaddy donated the damascus barrels from the Parker GH and the Vulcan Steel barrels from the Parker VH that had been the subjects of destructive testing by Sherman Bell, with the technical support of Tom Armbrust, published in The Double Gun Journal Vol. 10, Issue 4, Winter, 1999, “Finding Out For Myself” Part II and Vol. 16, Issue 2, Summer 2005, “Finding Out For Myself” Part IX.
Both guns were subjected to sequentially higher pressure loads at about 2,000 pounds/square inch (psi) increments. The GH testing started at 11,900 psi and one chamber ruptured at 29,620 psi. The VH started with a Proof Load of 18,560 psi. Both chambers bulged at 29,620 psi and ruptured at 31,620 psi.
Ron Graham performed a metallurgical analysis on both barrels and it is my understanding that he intends to publish the report, possibly as part of his evaluation of the other donated barrels (hopefully still) in his possession.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew: Great job. And I enjoyed Babcock's writing way back when. That was great stuff too. Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, I have a set of DD Damascus barrels off a high grade Parker That I would be happy to send you a section of for testing. How long of a piece do you need? The barrel's had the breech end smashed with a hammer. Go figure.....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.