May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Borderbill, Marks_21, ChiefAmungum, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,893
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#443247 05/02/16 04:57 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A gun was brought over to my house yesterday to see if I wanted to buy this "rare engraved Parker". What it was, was a mess. Starts out as a Trojan 12 ga. which had been restocked with a Weatherby style Monte Carlo stock in Claro walnut, big beaver tail fore end and either home done engraving or the first physical therapy effort by an engraver after a major stroke. Scrolls in different sizes from side to side, different depth and general ugly attempt to engrave a decent gun. Engraving, ugly engraving, made the gun ten times harder to even look at much less think about buying.

I tried to be nice and decline this rare chance to buy an engraved Parker. Seller did not want to hear it. Kept saying make me an offer. I should have offered him the value of he firing pins. I finally explained that I did not have an eye for Parkers and suggested he go to where they understand rare guns. The local Cabellas. They have a Ithaca Long Range .410 for four grand last time I looked. This rare Paker should be worth twice as much.

Last edited by KY Jon; 05/02/16 05:33 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I finally explained that I did not have an eye for Parkers and suggested he go to where they understand rare guns. The local Cabellas.

Now that is a good one! laugh

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a Lefever guy, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one, even if the Trojan you saw sounds worse:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=554039572

The best part is the description which says in part,

"I have taken lots of pictures. It appears that the reciver was restored some time before 1970. I belive it was done when it was engraved as I don't think any H's wear factory engraved. It has a name on the bottom I have taken a close up picture of. The color case hardening on the receiver is beautiful. The receiver is in 95% condition since the restoration. The Damascus barrels are untouched original. The restoration on the receive was done amazingly well. The barrels fit perfectly zero slack. Every part of this gun function as if it wear new. If the barrel wear restored this would be a museum piece. It really is now."

Then there is the game scene on the left sideplate which includes either a dog or one of the Budweiser Clydesdales... I'm not sure which.

The strangest part is the selling price of $1075.00 with $40.00 shipping. Don't get mad at me for not posting this before the end of the auction.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clydesdale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David
Clydesdale.

Looks like Clifford the Big Red Dog to me!
CHAZ

Of course that is much better than I could do with hammer and chisel!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with Stan...that IS a good one! Maybe suggest you will take if off his hands if he pays you enough.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

And some one actually bought that Lefever or should I say museum quality piece for a mere $1,075.00 bucks.

But that brings up a good point. See how uneducated some of these Gunbroker bidders are? And some people prey upon these people.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
A gun was brought over to my house yesterday to see if I wanted to buy this "rare engraved Parker". What it was, was a mess. Starts out as a Trojan 12 ga. which had been restocked with a Weatherby style Monte Carlo stock in Claro walnut, big beaver tail fore end and either home done engraving or the first physical therapy effort by an engraver after a major stroke. Scrolls in different sizes from side to side, different depth and general ugly attempt to engrave a decent gun. Engraving, ugly engraving, made the gun ten times harder to even look at much less think about buying.

I tried to be nice and decline this rare chance to buy an engraved Parker. Seller did not want to hear it. Kept saying make me an offer. I should have offered him the value of he firing pins. I finally explained that I did not have an eye for Parkers and suggested he go to where they understand rare guns. The local Cabellas. They have a Ithaca Long Range .410 for four grand last time I looked. This rare Paker should be worth twice as much.

So better or worse than your typical Smith?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
Originally Posted By: David
Clydesdale.

Looks like Clifford the Big Red Dog to me!
CHAZ

Of course that is much better than I could do with hammer and chisel!

The ears are too small to be Clifford.

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I like Smiths, also Lefevers, Fox, Aubrey/Meridens, Remington 1894 and 1900s, Ithacas, Bakers and even Parkers. Worse there are a few Crescents, Union Arm and other minor makes in my gun room. They all have a few potential problems but I like American doubles as a rule.

What I hate to see are sloppy coats of True oil finish, crappy upgraded guns, any double with a Weatherby style or roll over Monte Carlo stock, fat beaver tail fore ends, Claro walnut or Maple where Black or even English was original, metal that has been buffed until it looks like chrome or torched to look like grapes or blue berries making love on the side of a gun and the hideous White Line Pachmyar recoil pad. Now to my long list I have to add engraving done by a blind man. Can't wait until I find a good pro-ported double. That ought to be real nice. smile

Last edited by KY Jon; 05/02/16 11:47 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.