May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Toby Barclay, Craigster, SKB, Marks_21, docbill), 428 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,830
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The saga continues

My new percussion nipples arrived this morning from Track of the Wolf. Track of the Wolf told me that these old shotguns normally take .250-28 thread nipples. However, after borrowing such a nipple from my Pedersoli and having it fit very loose I measured the threads on one of the old nipples with my micrometer and it was exactly .265. Thats a damn good clue but I was still a little worried when I ordered the oversized .265-28 thread nipples, but they fit perfectly.

After lunch I loaded the old gurl up with 3 dram BP/1-1/8oz shot loads and fired it four times (actually three times, but I digress). The first two firings went great, I fired the left barrel first and then the right barrel. Everything was fine. The best part was I still had all my fingers and my eyesight, WOOOHOOO!!! Life is good. I decided to fire it again only this time firing the right barrel first. Thats where the fun started! There was an enormous KABOOM!!! as both barrels fired at once! Apparently, the trigger sears need some fine tuning. I also noted that itd fire from a half-cock. However, theres nothing that cant be easily fixed.

Im literally a happy camper, dressing the sears isnt a problem and the heavy barrels held up just fine. Im already looking forwards to taking it out in the field next season after I adjust the trigger sears.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love that place!!! Track of the Wolf is the first place I go to find anything for my black powder guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

life is good...enjoy.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's an update to this earlier post. The other day I finally purchased a set of jewelers files and redressed the sears on both locks, attending to both the half-cock and doubling problems I was having. It didn't take long and now it doesn't fire off the half-cock, both trigger pulls are smooth and feel great, and after shooting numerous clay targets it never once doubled. With twin cylinder bores it's very effective out to 25 yards and should work great on pointed quail or pheasants. I'm really looking forwards to using it this hunting season.

Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, You did a great job on that muzzleloader. How do you outfit for the field? Shot bag? English or Irish head? Powder horn or flask? Possibles bag?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunbearer totes all that stuff...Geo

Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I use a possibles bag (actually an old thrift store brown nylon shoulder bag). I pre-measure shot and powder loads into small plastic sample vials before I take to the field. Along with shot/powder loads, percussion caps (loaded in a dedicated percussion nipple capping tool) and wads I carry several small tools such as a percussion nipple wrench and pick. I also have a threaded attachment on the butt end of my ram rod. With the threaded attachment I can mount a cork screw on my ram road for pulling wads (ie: unloading), as well as a bore brush, to occasionally field clean the barrel. Our ancestors knew what they were doing!

Steve

PS reloadings still a PITA! A gunbearer to tote and reload would be nice.

Last edited by Rockdoc; 08/18/16 02:06 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job Steve!

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You need to get one of these and get rid of the plastic pre measured loads. More field flexibility.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/100/1/SHOT-DIPPER-D

Just a suggestion. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know why Steve uses the premeasured loads .......speed of loading, and simplicity. I have a couple of the adjustable shot and powder dippers, but I can reload with little premeasured pill bottles while my buddies are getting ready with the dipper. I know it's not "period", but most of us make compromises when we shoot these old guns anyway. I competed with m/l guns for many years, but I never got into "buckskinning".

Steve, someone gave me a little 20 ga. shell carrier about 25 years ago that has a foam block with 20 ga. sized holes in it, in which you were to take individual shells and place them. It is camo, and has a soft top that folds over the shells and secures with velcro. I found it perfect for shooting doves with my Manton 16 ga. percussion double. My little "pill bottles" of powder and shot fit snugly into the holes, and it will hold more than enough to take a limit.

Wish I could get pictures to post on here again, I'd put one up showing it. Really is a neat trick. I also have a "dove field and range" hickory ramrod with an old brass doorknob for a handle that works well. The problem with "extra" ramrods is ....... what to do with them between loadings. I solved that by taking a length of 1/2" EMT conduit and flaring one end of it. The other end I flattened and ground into a point. The length of it is just a hair more than the length of the ramrod, so that when the ramrod is placed into it, the base of the brass knob rests on the funneled end. It is a simple thing to take it in hand and use the big knob to push the conduit into the ground beside you, when shooting doves, or loading in the same spot in the field. Doesn't work well for quail, where you're constantly on the move. I just use the under barrel one for that.

Enjoy that smoke-gun.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.