April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Lomas, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob and Jay, thanks for your comments. These guns are quite interesting and useful to shooters. I'm sure we are all aware of the Model 21 informational website bluepike.tripod.com It is inactive but most of the information is still available.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Which part? Or, parts?

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had 4 Purdey's made for me as Mr Trevallion will attest. While all great guns that fit me, nothing is more pleasurable for me to take afield than my 1947 G2119B 28" WS1 & 2 Straight grip. Probably the best upland bird gun combo ever, bird mudering machine. I looked 15 years for the right one, and I am prouder of it than all my guns. The sidelock guys need to get over themselves.

I'd pay $8000 for a 99% vintage 12 gun with no excuses.........all.day.long.

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: gunut
$3000.....give or take grin..

come on its an American made boxlock...... smirk
Indeed, one that took 2000 blue pill over-proof loads, and made a Purdey and a few other fine guns- "bite the dust". The M21 Dad left me has had a lot of rounds through it before it came to me, still on face, ejectors in time-I have left the trigger selector to fire the right barrel first ever since 1981-works like a Rolex tells time. The "spring assisted" opening feature makes some folks think the action is loose, when the push the top lever over to un-breech the gun- As far as "graceful" handling and balance- Like a solid Stevens 311 or an Ithaca NID-waaay over-priced on today's market, IMO. But because I will never sell any of the "family" guns that came my way over time, I really don't give a good rattlin'damn what the market values may be- One of my gunning pals at our Pheasant Farm Hunting Club bought a pre-WW2 M21- Skeet 26" WS-1 and WS-2, PG, BT-SST and AE from Wm. Larkin Moore in AZ and paid about $2500 for it- Marked SKEET on the bottom of the receiver, very nice wood and checkering-But way heavier than my Field Grade, with the splinter forearm and 28" barrels.

Good substitute would be "New Ithaca Double" at percentage of Model 21s cost. The handling of typical samples is very, very similar. My question always was and remains is assuming no polishing has been done and work is done by professional how can you determine that typical Model 21 wears original factory finish or "facelift job"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

Good substitute would be "New Ithaca Double" at percentage of Model 21s cost. The handling of typical samples is very, very similar. My question always was and remains is assuming no polishing has been done and work is done by professional how can you determine that typical Model 21 wears original factory finish or "facelift job"?

Like vintage Rolex watch dials, which are everything to their value, spotting and knowing Winchesters with original finish comes from years of looking at 1000's of them at shows and friends collections. The metal and even the wood has a look and "feel" that even guys like CSMC cannot ever duplicate. Kinda like Colt blue from the Depression era, can't be replicated with modern methods and is easy to spot........at least for me

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Clif W.
I've had 4 Purdey's made for me as Mr Trevallion will attest. While all great guns that fit me, nothing is more pleasurable for me to take afield than my 1947 G2119B 28" WS1 & 2 Straight grip. Probably the best upland bird gun combo ever, bird mudering machine. I looked 15 years for the right one, and I am prouder of it than all my guns. The sidelock guys need to get over themselves.

I'd pay $8000 for a 99% vintage 12 gun with no excuses.........all.day.long.

For some it may be a good substitute. The Winchester is less expensive and ammo can be had 24/7 at 24 hour Walmarts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I admit my 20 ga Purdey SxS fits better and is a better gun, but I hit more birds with my M21 that isn't fit for me at all ( 14" LOP). I attribute it the best upland chokes ever, WS1 & 2, for me anyways

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clif W., I agree with you 100%. I have guns worth much more than my 21s. However, they are the "Hammer of Thor" in shooting qualities. I, too, am searching for a 28" 12 gauge Skeet Gun with straight grip and original checkered wood butt, high condition. I have my Dad's 1948 20 gauge 28" Skeet Gun with checkered butt and in mint condition, but won't carry it. The Lovely Linda owns a 26" Skeet Gun with 26" IC & MOD barrels, straight grip and checkered butt that is not quite mint, so we both shoot that one. You bring some refreshing comments to this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone took the packing and inserts out.I have the rest somewhere in my 4 rented storage units.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill - Found I did have a file photo of my Cody Letter. Guess what? "Skeet Grade". Don't know how to attach a file from my computer. Will do so if someone smarter than I can tell me how

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.