May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wild Skies), 433 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the responses Gentlemen. Its one of those, "If I can only own and use one gun what would it be" kind of questions.

While reading through Humpty Dumpty's excellent web site and noting that he said Russian is mostly a shotgun country with most owning, shooting and hunting with one gun and that a shotgun, I just wanted to see what others would do if put into that situation. But, unlike Russia, our only restriction is income for how many guns we can own. Or to put it a different way, I only have enough money to buy one bespoke shotgun what would you do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When machine made, laser engraved, laser checkered, guns are at 10 or more, while great guns, they don't give the same psychic reward as a hand made gun.

The time has passed for a 10k hand made gun.

Problem with all the reworked American standards is steel shot.

For old geezers that don't shoot anyway, and just want to look at it, buy an XE or C grade Fox. Clean it, rub it, and then let your heirs sell it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a lot above for geezers who also shoot and many others, too. In my early days, there was one shotgun, period, rural or urban, usually a 12ga double but lots of 16ga singles. Generally, it prevails today.

Our board is an anomaly, comprised of many-gun hunters, enthusiasts and collectors buying and selling as they move up the food chain. Our interests seem more to "psychic rewards" --- a benign affectation.

I'm leaning more to one-gun every day. If I really put my mind to it, it's already in my modest gun room.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
I'm leaning more to one-gun every day. If I really put my mind to it, it's already in my modest gun room.

King,
Where the hell were you 45 years ago?

I (and, my wallet) coulda' used that advice, then.

Treb, it doesn't seem that long ago that I could have got you a new R17 with fine rose and scroll for a few K short of your magic number. A V19 would have been right around 10K. Now, those same guns are nipping at 30K, and the Frenchies aren't really interested in you having one.

Can't even guess what this trinket would be used for (if at all) so, can't provide any guidance. But, good luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My "One Gun for a Lifetime" is already in my gun room. I just have to identify it. If I were searching for one out in the marketplace, I would have Mr. Galazan build me a 20 gauge long barrel Fox to Sterlingworth specifications. I believe he would be intrigued enough with the concept that he would agree to do it for ten grand. I believe that could be anyone's gun for a lifetime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Psychic income" explains most things we like.

I've seen a whole lot of men parade a fancy shotguns around my club, and then shortly later get divorced.

The parading is very important to some. They watch the rack like hawks. For others, fine things are a more private matter.

If you are going to shoot it, steel shot is a big deal. if not, or just a few rounds a year, get the investment grade smallbore, and rub it for fun.

There aren't any new guns at 10 that bring the psychic income the purchaser hopes for. At least not where I shoot. Outside of the competitive crowd, and there they all crave the Perazzi with upgraded wood, and that ain't near 10. They mostly shoot catalog Guerini's and Blasers.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would look for a best London gun that has been sleeved be a skilled 'smith. You might even have enough money left to have some stock work done. While sleeving is not well looked on this side of the pond it does put best quality work with in a 10k price range and more latitude in your ammo choices.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: King Brown

King,
Where the hell were you 45 years ago?

I (and, my wallet) coulda' used that advice, then.

Treb, it doesn't seem that long ago that I could have got you a new R17 with fine rose and scroll for a few K short of your magic number. A V19 would have been right around 10K. Now, those same guns are nipping at 30K, and the Frenchies aren't really interested in you having one.

Can't even guess what this trinket would be used for (if at all) so, can't provide any guidance. But, good luck.

Best,
Ted

Good point Ted, I should have put down for the French qualifier in my original post, IF and only IF the French Gunmaker decides you're worthy enough to own one regardless of how much money you have. smile

Good point CZ, the price of ammo and its availability in remote areas also has to be factored into this decision.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.