May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tom Shaffer, SXS 40, Kip, Licensed to kill, 2 invisible), 976 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,860
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434795 02/01/16 11:52 AM
gbmarli Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi,

I have begun work on renovating my first stock. So far, dent removal and sanding is all going well, but I have a question if someone can help please? Is it possible to remove oil stains from woodwork where surface sanding is not effective? You can see the black line around the metalwork that is deep in the wood. I assume oil has caused this.

Thanks
Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stains caused by oil can be dealt with in a number of ways, soaking in acetone is pretty effective.

If its in small localized places you can use a hair dryer and heat the area till the oil rises to the surface and wipe it off with tissue paper, repeating this over and over can work pretty well.

If i have had a stock in stripper to strip an old finish i often wash them with warm water and washing up liquid which can take a surprising amount of oil out the wood.

If it is oil staining on your stock i would make a bath of acetone and sit the stock in there for a good while and let it soak in. I sat a forend in a pint glass of white spirit while i went on holiday for a week and it turned the white spirit dark yellow with the eons of oil it pulled out so i know that can work too

The staining could be rust staining, which is where the tannin in the wood reacts with rust from the metal work around the inletting and essentially ebonizes the wood around the inletting, this is harder to remove really you will need to carefully bleach the wood to get that out; from my experience household bleach does not touch this kind of staining, there is a solution however that has been used for this kind of staining for years i just can't remember it!

I believe someone posted on the gunsmiths section on these forums with a solution they used which sounded similar to one i have read about but not used.

For removing staining in a non critical area ( not around the inletting!! ) working over the area area with courser paper might just get beyond it.

Just from my experience. - if i find that solution in my book i'll post it, its an old book on stock finishing.

Hope this might be of some help.

Edit to add: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=425032#Post425032

Covering the use of oxalic acid to bleach wood.

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 02/01/16 01:39 PM.
gbmarli Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The oxalic acid sounds like the stuff I need. I had just assumed it was oil, but rust makes more sense in this case. Thanks for your detailed reply - I will let you know how I get on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes do let us know, how you get on!

It looks like a nicely shaped action, seems to be something germanic about it some how? i'd love to hear more about the gun.

Best of luck with your renovation

gbmarli Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have put some more pics and info on the thread entitled Triebel of Altona in the German Guns section of the forum.
Mark

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.