Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#434359 01/28/16 01:00 PM
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I posted this new acquisition(L C Smith Grade 3) earlier but I have decided to repair it to the point of putting it back into shooting condition.
It really just needs the top lever fixed and still locks up tight. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith capable of doing this hopefully in Arizona? If not I'll go ahead and ship it.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand the hassle of shiping plus the added expense, but you won't regret sending the gun to Jerry Andrews. The stock is coming off to fix the top lever so he can glasbed the action at the same time. You REALLY, REALLY want to have the stock glassed before you start shooting it. I'll bet his turn around will be faster than someone locally, too. Think of someone you know or you've met who is sort of a "geek" about one particular thing. That's Jerry regarding the LC Smith shotgun.

Last edited by Jawjadawg; 01/28/16 01:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim: the top lever is waaaaay left, and the rib extension does not appear to be fully seated in the slot. Someone may have pounded on the extension to 'tighten' the action, and the repair may not be easy. And yes, the head of the stock will need attention.
As yet you don't know if the barrels as usable, which is step 1-9 before putting money into the gun.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew:
The barrels are very clean with no real signs of pitting. Additionally there are no dents. Even with the top lever in this condition there's no play whatsoever between the barrels and the action. I just re-examined the gun and the rib extension is fully seated in the slot. It must be the picture as the barrels were dangling off the edge of the counter when I took it.

Jawjadawg:
Would you please provide me with Jerry Andrews contact information.
Thanks to both of you.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, Jerry Andrews is a highly regarded L.C. Smith gunsmith. Here's his address and phone number:

Jerry Andrews, 1255 Grandview Rd., Moundsville, WV
26041 (304)-843-1740

He never did any work for me, but I bought a couple doubles from him. Nice guy. Buck Hamlin in Pevely, Mo. is another guy whose name comes up when it comes to repairing and restoring L.C. Smiths. His address and phone is:

Buck Hamlin
8501 Cedar Trail
Pevely MO 63070
(636) 479-4304

Here's a link to a page of gunsmith reccomendations on the L.C. Smith site;

http://members.boardhost.com/lcsmith/msg/1419987871.html

Of course, we have all seen how Ed handles the problem of a shotgun with a left-of-center top lever. You just photograph it with the gun only partially closed. Your gun looks like it could use some nice pretty torch colors too!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wall thickness Jim. "Very clean" likely means honed in a gun that has had that much use.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Wall thickness Jim. "Very clean" likely means honed in a gun that has had that much use.

Drew:
I really doubt these barrels have ever been honed. Since no other work was apparently ever done; I can't imagine the owner ever touching the barrels. The gun show a lot of years of use but not any abuse. I suspect whoever shot it all these years very meticulously cleaned the barrels but that was about it.
However; I will have whoever fixes the top lever check the barrel wall thickness as well just to be on the safe side.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

take it in and get it evaluated by a knowledgeable smith ..if the barrels check out ok..get an estimate on adjusting the actions lockup and fixing and bedding the stock.....keep us posted on the project....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.andrews.902?fref=ts

This is Jerry's facebook page.......

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you send your L C Smith to Mark Beasland he and his friends can take care of all of the problems that your L C Smith number 3 has......Mark has a friend who is a precision micro welder......http://www.mbabllc.com/page/page/7927803.htm ........Here are some before and after pictures of an L C Smith rebuild......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.