April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, smlekid, griz, rtw, 2 invisible), 431 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc,

"with a 1-1/8 ounce shot and 6 dram black powder load" sounds like a pretty hefty load. Is that to proof or was that a regular hunting load?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Rockdoc,

"with a 1-1/8 ounce shot and 6 dram black powder load" sounds like a pretty hefty load. Is that to proof or was that a regular hunting load?

With my 9/10 gauge Manton I was planning to shoot it at pen raised pheasants using a standard *12 gauge 3 dram BP and 1-1/8 ounce shot load (and very light for a 10 or 9 gauge gun). It's very easy in the field to get distracted and mis-load the gun. I did it once with my 12 gauge Pedersoli, I put a double BP load in one barrel and a double shot load in the other! Fortunately, I tried to fire the shot loaded barrel first and of course nothing happened except the primer fired. If I'd fired the double BP load barrel it would've been like a BP blank going off. Nonetheless, I figured with the Manton that there was the possibility that I could put in a double BP load with a load of shot on top. Hence the "safety test" using the 6 dram load. Normally with the light 12 gauge load I was using I wouldn't have been so concerned but I'd measured the Manton barrels and over the years it'd been honed so that it was a 8.5/9 gauge gun by the time I got it.

*according to Circlefly wads the standard 10 gauge load is 4.25 drams BP and 1-5/8 ounces of shot.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/24/16 09:28 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

1882 Parker Bros. catalog Lifter-era black powder load recommendations

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill/Oregon
Here are a couple more views of this gun. The stock is in really nice shape, with good checkering. I can't see a crack.
The muzzle of the left barrel is thin at the outer edge, but that is clearly from someone polishing corrosion at the very mouth of the tube.
Lagopus, where would I look for a serial number?

Bill, I can see why you fell in love with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too bad she had the clap....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

As far as Rockdoc being an expert on muzzle loaders....well I'm betting you're looking at his 'one horse ride'. wink

And as far as his "proof testing" it doesn't prove anything other than it didn't blow up that time....if anything it just puts undue stress on a 150+ year old gun.

Ps...They are so enamored maybe InferO' Ed or Rockdoc will buy it and bail you out ?

Good morning jOe, I thought I’d address your earlier comments. First I never claim to be an expert on muzzle loaders or any other guns for that matter. If you’ll notice I typically post about techniques I’ve used. If someone wants to use a technique I’ve used that’s up to them. FWIW I’ve enjoyed three ML’s over the last 14 years, a 1973 12 gauge SXS Pedersoli replica, an 1850’s vintage 9/12 gauge SXS Manton, and a 36 gauge Belgium SXS guild gun and hope to continue with additional future muzzle loaders.

I thoroughly explained what you call my “proof testing” and exactly why I did it on page 5 of this thread and now refer to that explanation.

Early on, long before Bill posted the later photos of his Scott, I sent him a PM inquiring about purchasing the gun. So yes jOe, I am willing to back my thoughts with money. The fact is I enjoy simple gunsmithing projects and the small amount of time and money I put into freshening up an old gun and putting it back to work gives me a great deal of satisfaction.

Just hoping to clear up any misassumptions you might have made jOe, in the meantime have a nice day!

Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve: "the standard 10 gauge load is 4.25 drams BP and 1-5/8 ounces of shot" for modern replica MLs?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Steve: "the standard 10 gauge load is 4.25 drams BP and 1-5/8 ounces of shot" for modern replica MLs?

Drew, I stand corrected and believe I am in error using the words "the standard 10 gauge load". The actual words cut and pasted from Circleflys website are:

"Service Charges in Shotguns: The British service charges for breech loading smooth bore guns, as listed in W.W. Greener’s book, “The Gun and It’s Development” (9th edition, published 1910)" along with a chart referencing the load I gave.

Given this information the referenced load is for breech loaded guns. Using black powder I wouldn't expect any load differences between muzzle loaders and breech loaders, if there are differences (perhaps because of primers) I'd be interested in learning about them. In the field, I found that the 12 gauge BP load I used in my 10 gauge gun worked just fine on pen-raised birds, at least the birds didn't seem to notice any difference laugh.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/25/16 12:18 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew, thank you for that link!
I did some measuring, and believe these to be fairly heavily constructed. The 30-inch tubes weigh 4 1/2 pounds. They taper from 1.050 inches at the breech plug joint to .825 at the muzzle.
Have them soaking, nipples down, in penetrant. Hope to "draw the cones" soon.
I have got to get one of those cheap Chinese LED endoscopes and a have a good look inside.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill: I tried one of those nOt-bOttom-Of-the-line fiberOptic scOpes for bOre examination. It had good resolution for anything more than about 6" away, but the image was WAY out of focus for the bore ie. within 1". frown
I would be very interested if someone has a recommendation for a not top-of-the-line bore scope.
These are high $
http://www.gradientlens.com/Rigid-Borescopes/Hawkeye-Classic-Slim.aspx#6861-overview

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.