April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stanton Hillis, Jim H., obsessed-with-doubles, Kolar Dickson, Sandlapper, HMAK), 401 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

My opinion of this gun has not been based on the maker or the grade....I don't see any file marks made by Scott truth is you can't discern years of corrosion and abuse from any original work on this gun.

What ticks me off is the guy posted the gun thinking he had bought a piece of crap...been there and done that. Then all the fantasy gun dreamers (that from proof of their posts don't know their azzez from a hole in the ground) pop out of the rotting woodwork trying to convince the guy to shoot the piece of crap.

Like I said if the fellow can't get his money back his best bet would be to salvage what he could and move on....Platinum is pretty pricey.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are a couple more views of this gun. The stock is in really nice shape, with good checkering. I can't see a crack.
The muzzle of the left barrel is thin at the outer edge, but that is clearly from someone polishing corrosion at the very mouth of the tube.
Lagopus, where would I look for a serial number?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun looks very nice! However, it has quite a bit of drop at the heal for a British gun, it must've been made for an American shooter. My old heavily honed 9/10 gauge Manton was paper thin at the muzzles yet it held together just fine with a 1-1/8 ounce shot and 6 dram black powder load. The honing may have been done to correct a barrel regulation POI problem. Chuck H has successfully done similar things to correct POI problems. With that paper thin muzzle you're going to want to be careful not to bang it into anything.

Steve

PS HojO just because I may disagree with you doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong. Your friend Amarillo Mike did his best to explain that concept to you but apparently he was unsuccessful.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve, I just measured the drop at heel on the Scott and it is 3 inches, certainly requiring a very erect stance. My only other double is a Husqvarna Model 20A, and the DAH on it is just over 2 1/2 inches.
The Scott will also need a ramrod.

Last edited by Bill/Oregon; 01/24/16 01:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, if you're going to build a ram rod be sure to get a butt end tip that you can screw a metal worm into to remove wads so that you don't have to fire the gun every time to unload it. When I was shooting mine at the range I just used a 3' hardwood dowel that was close to the bore size.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

nice looking gun...

nice pictures...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt the gun has a serial number the one I had just like it didn't. It was probably made between 1850 and 1860.

In the second set of picks it's easy to see why you had your hopes up....if it's any consolation I've had my hopes destroyed more than once in a gun purchase.

As far as Rockdoc being an expert on muzzle loaders....well I'm betting you're looking at his 'one horse ride'. wink

And as far as his "proof testing" it doesn't prove anything other than it didn't blow up that time....if anything it just puts undue stress on a 150+ year old gun.

No doubt you could probably get the gun shooting but ask yourself then what do you have ?

Ps...They are so enamored maybe InferO' Ed or Rockdoc will buy it and bail you out ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
It looks like a fine shooter. Look down the barrels -if you can't see light shinning through the sides it's ok.

Boy I'll be sure and remember that... crazy

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe, regarding ML doubles whose barrels have let go, some years ago I had the opportunity to "guest curate" the several hundred firearms in the Southern Oregon Historical Society's collection. There were a couple of dozen muzzleloading doubles among them, and three or four had burst barrels -- always the left barrel and typically near the middle of the forend. My thought was that these must have been related to the right barrel being loaded over and over and the left not discharged until the components had moved. Just a theory, but I bet it cost the shooters their thumbs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as you don't see any light shining through the sides you'll be fine.

Seriously in one of the last photos I did notice what could be a breech plug leak ?

Before firing I'd get the nipples out and replace them....judging from the corrosion in the pictures I'd be suspect of the new ones screwing in tight.

If you're lucky It probably won't blind you if a nipple blows.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.