April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Fudd), 417 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bought this online, thinking I could hunt with it, but it is a bit rougher 'round the edges than I had hoped. It was described as a 12-bore, but the barrels are marked 13 and they seem to run .715-.719. Rib is faintly marked London Laminated Steel. Bores appear to be in fairly good shape inside. Worst wear is the corroded right hammer nose. Locks and triggers function normally.
Stock is in nice shape, but refinished.
I had in my mind that laminated steel was a plus, but have seen comments that it is the least safe of the old barrel steels.
So, is this likely a wall hanger? Will probably have Cody Kearcher take a look at it.

Last edited by Bill/Oregon; 01/21/16 04:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

W.C. Scott is a good company. In the world of 150 year old guns, .715 and .719 bores in 13 gauge aren't bad at all, although you certainly want to know what wall thickness is. Also, moderate black powder charges don't produce that much pressure. My experience with original percussion SxS's has been that when you really clean out the bores you start to see the ravages of time. I would certainly get it checked, and the wear around the fences is significant, but I would not assume that it can't be shot.

I shoot a fair amount of skeet with similar guns (my Scott is 10 gauge though), usually using 3/4 ounce of 8.5 shot over 65 to 70 grains FFg. My leads are considerably increased over modern guns, 5 plus feet on the crossers. Upping the powder loads reduces the leads only marginally (as in, I can't tell the difference).

For pheasants I use 1 ounce of 6's over 72 grains FFg, and it works well out to maybe 30 yards. With cylinder chokes nothing seems to work well beyond 30 yards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That action looks pretty bad Bill, just think what the inside of those barrels look like. I wouldn't bother. Nice display piece though.

And W. & C. Scott & Son is light years beyond a good company.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Manton 9/10 gauge thatd been honed over the years until it was an 8.5/9 gauge. I used to hunt preserve pheasants with it using standard 12 gauge 3 dram 1-1/8 ounce loads and it was just fine. BTW, as a safety test I discharged each barrel from a sawhorse rest with 6 drams of BP and 1-1/8 ounces of shot (what I might inadvertently load in the field). Each barrel made a terrific KABOOM and they both held together just fine.

Heres a photo of the Manton with its first pheasant.

What Im saying is dont just write it off without having a competent SXS gunsmith look it over.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Rockdoc said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look how corroded the inside of those fences are. They are probably the easiest part of a muzzleloader to clean and they obviously were not cleaned. If they're corroded to that degree what do the barrels look like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a candidate for a table lamp project in a very dark room.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like someone tried to hammer the breech plug loose on the right barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yee of little faith... No one's suggesting it's a candidate for a complete restoration! However, if the barrels are not terribly pitted or honed too thin it could be a fun project to freshen up as a shooter and use for clays or in the field. Again take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith and have it checked out.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can see where some would find it fun wasting time or money and ending up with a more costly piece of crap that has the potential to blow up in ones face.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.