Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice. The KISS principle at it's best. Thanks for sharing your work and design.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah but there is a gunnys heaven. Brian, I looked for years to find a young guy who wanted to build rifles and stock guns in the way I was taught in the 1950's. Nobody seemed to have the patience including my own son who could care less about a custom stock and checkering by hand but by some quirk of fate is a Master cabinet and furniture maker. Great job as is all your work that I have seen on the double guns. Regards1 Lee M.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You certainly deserve some stars for this project. I'd love
to see what is going on underneath the forend and I'd love
to hear how it does at the range. Does it remain sighted in
when the barrel is removed and put back on?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a picture of a group from my first firing of the rifle in the stage that it is pictured at. Shots were taken at 50 yards without doing much work to zero the scope in.

B.Dudley
Boxlock
Boxlock

Brian,
You are doing some exceptional work. I would have another look at the inletting around the bolt handle though. It appears very tight and may interfere with the wood after the stock is finished and the action seats in after firing. It'll drive accuracy crazy. But, it's a really nice job and keep up the good work. Thanks for posting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The bolt handle is pretty close to the stock. When I first started this build, I had completely different plans for scope and mounting so I installed the bolt handle to be super low. But everything in regards to the scope system changed as things went on. If I were to do it again, I would have had the handle out farther and not even be insetted into the wood at all.

I just got photos back from my engraver of the work on the takedown mauser. So I will share them here. I pretty much left it all up to my engraver (Geoffrey Gournet) to decide on what do put on it. I had some specifics in regards to the matting on the bridges and the rings, but other than that I just told him I wanted some tasteful border work that went along with the lines of the action. I did not want anything over the top at all.

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag104/dudleybm/Shroud_zpsfrnwzzam.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag104/dudleybm/Safe_zpsezygjlbx.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag104/dudleybm/front%20ramp%20matting_zps69m3i7va.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag104/dudleybm/Rear%20sight%20matting_zps8qmfyotj.jpg[/img]

B.Dudley
Boxlock
Boxlock

Pretty nice rifle. I'm wondering if you can see thru the scope when your cheek is on the stock? Seems high to me. How will the iron sights work out?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The stock comb height is set to work well with the open sights. As with most any German claw mount rifle, the head would habe to be lifted some to use the scope.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

The other four

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian,
Re: the height of the scope. Claw mounted scopes can be much lower, but to do so the front ring has to be on the bell of the scope. This means the front base would have to be on the barrel. They could not make "standard" mounts to fit, then. The front of the scope would hit the barrel in tipping it off, otherwise.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.