May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Marks_21, 1 invisible), 955 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,849
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm lucky, my wife shoots and knows exactly what I pay for my guns, she went with me to Deweys to pick it up and was thrilled to see his shop.

GLS, I do have some before pics, will post them this evening when I get home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey is very up front about what he charges for his work. To ask what a completed job cost is a low blow and the question does not have to be answered. Dewey has done some of my most important jobs and I have never objected to his charge, however outrageous it may seem to someone who does not know which end the shot comes out. Bill Murphy in MD.

johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are some before pics, the gun had stock issues, light coating of rust over much of the gun, buggered screws, cut and sanded wood, couple minor barrel dents, broken ejector guide.

The good, it was complete,it was tight, lever far to right, chokes and chambers had not been messed with and it was a XE.

I lucked into the gun at my local trap club, it was sitting on the 4sale table along with an AE, a 2 for 1 deal. The AE had cut barrels 2" and had been restocked but that gun turned into one of my best sporting clays shooters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lay off the guy, he's new here. Johnr answer, "I'd rather not say" was sufficient.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Johnr, I don't blame you for not disclosing the cost of that job. It was clearly worth whatever it cost.

Sorry, I didn't mean to break etiquette there. I've often thought of buying a somewhat beat up Fox and having it professionally restored. I can hear planes taking off from Philadelphia International as I'm typing this, so old Phili guns hold a sort of mystique to me.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

No problem with me Lever. People don't always like to mention specific prices. That's sort of between the patron and the artist who performs the gun miracles we see so often on this site.

You asked, which is no break of etiquette in my mind, and Johnr preferred not to say. All is well. If you should decide to go forward with a Fox renovation, you have a great lead on an artisan to perform the work...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 12/18/15 12:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
If you should decide to go forward with a Fox renovation, you have a great lead on an artisan to perform the work...Geo

I certainly do. He really did a beautiful job.

-Leverhead
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Johnr, he really gilded the lily. That was quite a coup finding two graded Foxes and even in the condition you found them, they looked better than my rag-tag "collection" of doubles. Now between you and me, what did you pay for them? wink The restock wood on the AE looks great.

I must admit I cringed a little when you were asked the expense, but leverhead qualifed it with "if you don't mind telling" and you politely responded. "I'd rather not". Not a breach of etiquette as in "how much money do you make" or asking a Texas rancher "how many head of cattle do you have?" I'm sometimes asked what a particular smith charged for work in order to get a baseline for similar work and I always respond "you gonna have to ask him, because it may be higher or lower than what he charged me." Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

There you go Leverhead instead of the Merkel possibly a older American shotgun that can be fixed up. Find one, post pictures here on this board and ask if it can be fixed.

johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
I'm sometimes asked what a particular smith charged for work in order to get a baseline for similar work and I always respond "you gonna have to ask him, because it may be higher or lower than what he charged me." Gil

Gil, I have to agree, each smith will be different in quality and pricing, each gun will be different on the level of work required.
This gun required extensive wood work, I really wanted to save the original stock and Dewey came thru.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.