April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (graybeardtmm3, Jimmy W, earlyriser, 3 invisible), 438 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,209
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recognize this is probably not the correct/best forum for this post, but have not found a better place to ask.

Have this Model 25 that I am told MAY be a lightweight version. Any help in determining the actual version and history of this rifle would be greatly appreciated!

Directions to a good/better place to ask this question would also be appreciated.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know about the lightweight designation, but Remington offered the Model 25 in rifle and carbine versions. The rifle had a 24" barrel and a pistol grip stock, the carbine a 18" barrel and a straight stock. Yours is definitely a carbine.

Jim H.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JC,

Agreed, it is a carbine.

I am told, and found some small references online, to a 'Lightweight' Carbine with a half magazine and different rear sight.

Trying to determine if this is actually the truth, or internet rumor.

Thanks!

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I've ever seen, there are only two models of the 25, the rifle and the carbine. The factory designation of the carbine was 25R, if my memory serves.

I've never seen any other variation, nor have I seen factory enahancements like special sights or checkering. There may be some, but they are very scarce.

You have a gem, in any case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This link from Remington shows the half magazine and a heavier appearing rear sight. http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/pump-action/model-25.aspx

There are three carbines on Gunbroker, all have the half magazine, one appears to have a sight like the one in the Remington brochure, one has a Lyman receiver peep sight and does not appear to have a dovetail for a rear sight. http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/pump-action/model-25.aspx

No meaningful information I am afraid, but it is a delightful looking gun.

Jim H.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Received an email this morning from the gentleman who commented about this rifle.

"Is actually more of a transition model. The transition is from a full length magazine tube to 2/3 - rear sight dovetail moved from 5 or so inches to 3 inches (a few with no dovetail) - rifle sight to shrouded carbine sight - 17 1/2 or 17 3/4 barrel length to 18 or 18 1/4 inch barrel. - Model 14R stocks used for a period of a few months in PROBABLY late 1924."

The date code on this rifle is for June of '24, so this information may be correct.

The rifle came from the estate of gentleman who had a collection of interesting variations of otherwise 'common' rifles. Trying to figure out why this one was part of his collection.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Remington Model 25, sort of a scaled down Model 14 1/2 for the smaller diameter short cartridges makes its first appearance in Remington Arms Co., Inc.'s first catalogue, Catalogue No. 51, circa 1921 --

Catalogue No. 107, 1923 --

Undated Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalogue circa 1929 --

Remington Arms Co., Inc. price list January 1, 1930 --

Undated Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalogue circa 1931 --

Undated Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalogue circa 1932 --

Remington Arms Co., Inc. Price List, March 1, 1934 --

The Model 25's final appearance is in the February 15, 1935, Remington Arms Co., Inc. Price List and the carbine barrel has grown a half inch --

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't wait to try my 25-20 at "Accurate to 300 yards". I have a box of Aardvark soft points to use.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found the email address for Tom Hemphill. He replied to my email with the following.

Quote:
Mike:
That is an earlier Model 25R that you have. If you measure the barrel carefully, you will find it to be 17ľ”, a mite short of the advertised 18”. After 1934, they began making them in 18˝”.

Your carbine stock is from a model 14R, as were all of the early ones. Most of them found will have sling loops, a strap steel buttplate on a straight stock, and a protected sight that I call a “carbine” sight on my records.

Carbines pictured in the 1923 catalog were like yours but with a full magazine and a 93˝ rear sight in a dovetail 5˝” out on the barrel. A 701˝ is the more common sliding leaf sight used on all later 14s and 141s and is, for all practical purposes, that same thing as the 93˝.

Your rifle has a sight known as a 48-51, and is in a dovetail about 2ľ” onto the barrel. This is the location for all later carbine dovetails. 48-51s were usually found on model 12s and it is rare to find them on model 25s, but with Remington, anything is possible.

So to sum up, you have an early 25R carbine with a couple of features I have not previously observed, namely the 48-51 and the “hard rubber” buttplate. I would very much appreciate it if I could have the complete serial of your rifle as well as confirmation of a “PR” build code. I would like to compare it with my own 7xxx, made in 11/23. It had the Dovetail 5 ˝” in front of the receiver and the 93˝ sight, which was the sight used on all model 25 rifles during the production years.

I have never of worn guns having a problem with “slamfires”

There is no such thing as a “lightweight carbine”. Why would you improve on 4˝ pounds?

Deer? I shot 6 of them using 60 grain Remington hollow points. Every one was a one shot kill. I love those hi speed rounds.

tang sights? I swear by them and put them on every 25 that I use for hunting.

Total production of rifles and carbines was about 33,000. Of those, Remington folks generally agree that less than 10% were the carbine version.

feel free to quote me if you wish..............................tom

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,

Thanks for the catalog pages! Very informative and interesting to read.

Mike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.