April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, LeFusil, PALUNC, Ted Schefelbein, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,217
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Yesterday at 09:34 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#414131 08/10/15 04:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Myself and some other dealers have come to the conclusion that there are a group of people (a couple on this BBS that we know of. Even though we dealers are competitors, we still are friends, we know who calls all around on making inquiries, but not buy) that they are professional lookers. They email you about a gun, generally the email is this: I am very interested in that gun, do you still have it?

You reply that you do, and that's all you ever hear from them. Nothing.

I have made mention this scenario to my wife, hoping she could explain this.

Her reply was this: They like to ask about guns so they can tell their friends that they are looking at this gun from this dealer and checking about this other one from this other dealer, and maybe interested in this other gun that they saw and so on and so on.
This of course this is impressive to their friends and makes them feel that they are in the game. But they never do anything more that look.

John Boyd

Last edited by arrieta2; 08/10/15 04:07 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Judging from the present balance in my 'gun money account', I am considering joining the Professional Lookers Association myself. Is there a national headquarters?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't similar for actual sales. Some may need a whole bunch more time invested than others. It's probably just part of doing business. Bar talk with the buddies feels better, but it probably can't do a whole lot to decrease the tire kickers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well....I gotta say...if the most you have to outlay is a 'yes I do' then you're getting off pretty lucky.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, George I understand there is a chapter. Not sure how to join. I understand it's more of a national chapter, not local.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Times are so rough that if you guys were to ever enact a "just lookin" fee, I'd have no choice other than to forfeit my membership in the "Professional Lookers" club. Although I'm careful never to harass a seller with emails and calls unless I truly do intend to be a buyer, I really appreciate those website listings that do allow folks like to be a "looker".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear your frustration John.
When I go fishing, I am also frustrated when I do not catch every fish that chooses to strike.

FWIW, a peddler only has so much time. And, many other duties beyond glad handing tire kickers. The traditional approach is to ask poignant, clarifying questions, so as to determine if the prospect (having been transformed from "lead" by virtue of their having actually contacted you) is comfortable buying soon.
If they cannot say yes to any of the qualifiers, you have your answer. For today. Maybe not for tomorrow or next week.

All that said, people that have long term successful businesses have to invest in creating future customers. When dealers K-mart their wares (ie the many on GB) they are only interested in transactions, and create no longer term value.

So, when qualifying, be careful to not be off putting. Allow for a conduit to future business. A way out without losing face. Keep a "desires list", and when those items become available, get on your e-mail lists.
It's the cultivation that takes all the time.

I do not expect to land every fish. I expect a strong ratio of strikes/hook sets.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

B i t c h, b i t c h, b i t c h...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 08/10/15 05:52 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife says that she enjoys shopping,
buying, not so much smile

She is quite frugal and enjoys finding the things on sale
and sometime she buys.

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have the Spanish makers from the top Spanish houses priced themselves off the market. Or have the Spanish gunmakers abandoned the low end market to the Turks a little too early?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.