April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4555 10/05/06 08:28 AM
JM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First, I enjoy your aritcles. You mentioned that there's a recent trend towards Woodwards, and later on that your cousins in the states have been buying up hammer guns. I guess I killed two birds with one purchase, but can you really blame us for wanting them?

Woodward hammer gun:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RADhAvISJ...592199937160955[/img]

Dig Offline

I can't blame you at all - I just can't afford them anymore

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig wrote a very astute article for the UK called "Uncle Sam Has Grandad's Purdey," or something very like that. Well, make that Woodward, too. The good news is that most of these guns are in safe hands and being well fed.

JM - a sibling.

JM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Beautiful gun Rocketman! I would prefer that mine had the silver patina like yours. Mine was case colored when I bought it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And I can vouch for the fact that Rocketman's hammer Woodward has most of the misses shot out of it. And the hammerless one ain't bad either. I had a marvelous outing with Don and some friends in August, an outing in which I was offered the use of two beautiful Woodwards from our good friend the Rocketman. I'm a lucky man to have friends such as these.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JM,

Put it to use. It will look like RM's in no time at all.

Mike
Dig Offline

Why spend hard -earned cash on a new gun when you can still get these?

You both have excellent taste - but you knew that already!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig is correct, as usual! On both counts.

But then, the issue is financing Woodward/Purdey/Boss/H&H/etc. taste on a Bonehill budget.

JM - I note that your gun has clips. Is it, by chance, noticably heavier than 6 1/2#? Mine has only wisp of CC left here and there, but is sound, especially after a visit to Purdey's in 1985(me for sure and it most likely, paid our first visits to Purdey's the very same week in '85; I've been back many times and it hasn't).

Tom is being modest. There was an embarrasing period wherein it looked as though I'd be obligated as a gentleman to make him a price on the gun since he obviously shot it better than I could ever hope to. Fortunately, he came back toward earth and I got to keep my gun.

JM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Marksman, I intend to put it to use, that's what they are for. If there is one thing I can't stand is to see is a gun just sit there in a safe and never see the light of day. I could never own a collectable one of a kind unfired gun because I would have to shoot it.

Dig, I like both new and old guns. I like the new ones because I can get a custom fit since I'm a left handed shooter and need a long LOP. One major reason that I bought this gun is that the stock dimensions are close to what I need to shoot well. When you're a lefty and you like English/Italian guns, you learn to compensate for this when buying a second hand gun! I like the old guns for their historical worth, style, and originality.

Rocketman, I don't recall what the gun weighs. I'm not weight sensitive (yet!). Probably the heaviest SxS gun I have is my Westley Richards A&D boxlock, but like the Woodward I don't know what it weighs. The WR just seems to be heavier to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also was at that friendly shoot and kept pushing Tom to make an offer to Rocketman for the Woodward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.