April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (bbman3, Der Ami, HMAK, Sun Dog, 1 invisible), 438 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought this M70,(49 30-06 standard)cheap, for an any weather hunting gun. When it is blowing snow or rain, I like having iron sight capability when hunting anything important. Ideally, I would like to find a side mount that matches these holes, so I can keep the peep, and see under the scope. I am having trouble finding any of the vintage side mounts with this hole spacing. I was hoping one of you guys would be able to recognize the hole spacing. There are 4 holes, .970 apart. I have looked at a bunch of pictures, but haven't found any that look close. It would be nice to know what brand to look for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pachmayr and Weaver are the only ones which come to mind that use four screws, but they don't match that pattern. However, Griffin & Howe mounts can be had with blank bases which can be drilled to fit any hole pattern.

I don't think you will want to leave the receiver sight arm in place while using a scope, however. The advantage of a side mount is that it allows a scope to be mounted low enough so that the line of sight remains the same as with the receiver sight. A "see through" mount raises the sight line to the point that the face is no longer in firm contact with the stock.

You would need to replace the Williams receiver sight with something like a Lyman 48, which has a slide which can be removed and replaced without a change in zero.

Here is a pre-War G&H Springfield sporter with the type of high mount you are referring to.

This is the more modern version of the same mount, with the scope mounted low enough to take full advantage of the side mount's characteristics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It used to be that Weaver produced a base for
their sidemounts that had no holes drilled, this allowed
one to drill the holes in the base to match any existing
holes in the receiver. This maybe the most expedient
solution to your problem.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The mount may not have had 4 screws,it was common to use taper pins,in addition to a couple screws.This made a more solid mounting that would not move.It is possible the tapered holes were tapped for plug screws.There might be signs of this,inside the action.Taper pins are avaliable is different sizes,so one of the blank bases mentioned above can be installed with two screws and two taper pins(sized to clean up the old holes).Of course this is if taper pins were used, originally.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This may have been what I needed? I've never heard of Kruzell mounts. This lady has a bunch of other old gunshop inventory, maybe I will ask if she has any more, and to measure the holes. If I could find a Weaver side mount blank, I would go that route. I have a couple sets of Weaver Pivot mounts for M70's, so if I don't come up with a side mount before fall, I will just use them, and the bbl. sight.
Thanks everyone for their help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kruzell-Detachable-Scope-Mount-Model-SB-1-Scope-Side-Location-with-box-/111724441199?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=SmqWh7jhdeVEyY7Irig4FvgQdOs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, since the receiver sight is a Williams, but Williams also made a side mount and it used a base with four holes. I'm sorry, I don't know what the spacing of the holes is.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.