April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, LGF, bushveld), 1,169 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#4441 10/05/06 08:20 AM
OP Offline

I am writing a story on game preserves and the attempts of the better preserves to provide hunters with a real hunting expereince. How many of you hunt on preserves and how many only hunt wild birds. If you do both, could you give me a percentage please.

Thanks so much, Dick Jones

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick, I was invited to a preserve once and once was enough for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick,
I do both. In terms of time afield; wild 75%, preserves %25. Preserves are shooting and dog training, not hunting in my experience. We call it cathouse hunting; you pays your money and you get your birds.

Dig Offline

Your definition of 'preserve' interests me.

Here in the UK shooting is often organised by a group (syndicate) renting the shooting rights to an acreage of land.

The group pays a gamekeeper (or take on this work themselves as working parties) to catch wild pheasants, hatch the eggs, rear the chicks and release them into the wild, then make sure there is plenty of food in the woods and that vermin are controlled by shooting and trapping.

Shooting may be driven, with teams of beaters and dogsflushing birds to the 'Guns', or there may be two teams of 'Guns' taking turns to walk and drive the cover or stand and shoot. Alternatively, small parties may go out with dogs and hunt part of the ground, shooting any game flushed by the dogs.

If this is what you class 'a preserve' it is the norm in the UK and ensures there are birds in good numbers each season. As the birds are living wild and are free to leave the land if they choose (and a good percentage do), the sport is much like hunting wild-bred birds. The breeding and release system ensures that numbers are sustainable.

True wild bird shooting is inland duck flighting and woodpigeon decoying and flighting. If you encounter a pheasant in the wild, chances are that it was released as a poult somewhere, by someone.

I have heard rumours of places overseas where coverages of game crops are laid out and a set number of captive birds are released and then hunters 'hunt' the crop and shoot the birds they have released as they flush. This does not happen in the UK.

I have also heard tell of towers with live birds launched out of them like clay pigeons (apparently ducks or pheasants are the norm). Again, this is illegal in the UK. I have no experience of either practice.

I am not usually one to knock another man's sport, for we all have our preferences and our own moral and sporting outlook. However, I should not wish to participate in either of the latterly described pursuits.

They do not seem to me to be what our great sport is about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Preserve hunting is like fishing a stocked trout pond. I have done it once, when my dog was young and I wanted to get him on some birds, but I hope I never have to do it again. It is not even close to wild bird hunting.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

King
There are several ways that preserve hunts are put on. You can have someone "plant" the birds (dizzy them and place them on the ground in a disoriented state) or you can simply release the birds in the middle of the property. To me planted birds are only good for dog training or maybe teaching a young hunter the fundimentals. There is a state run facility near where I live that releases birds and I enjoy hunting there very much. It's still not nearly as challenging as wild birds, but it keeps my dog in tune and I increase the challenge by using either one of two .410's I own or lately a 36 gauge percussion sxs. Yes, not nearly as many birds hit the ground dead, especially with the 36 gauge, but my golden retriever quickly (and always) finds them for me.
Dick
I started to put together a numbers answer for your original question, but with on-going family health issues turning my life upside down (my wife has been fighting breast cancer for several years now) I just couldn't come up with a meaningful answer for you.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick,

As a piedmont NC resident preserve hunting is about all that's locally avaliable to me. When I was a kid 30 + yrs ago there were wild quail to hunt but farming practices around here have all put an end to small game hunting, but that another story for another day. If your going to preserve hunt in my opinion you should stick to quail or chuckers.

Derrick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt only wild birds.

I have no interest in shooting preserve birds of any species at all.

The first is hunting, the second is shooting.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent
Easy to say when you live in Iowa, Illinois was tough 30 years ago when there were lots of pheasants to hunt because it's nearly all private land. Perhaps you don't realize how great you have it in Iowa. Ya ya ya, I should move, I'd love to! I only wish it was that easy.
Steve
PS I really like Iowa and there's a good chance I'd move there given the opportunity, even though it's a little too close to Illinois for comfort.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, I've lived in a lot of places. Including Illinois. Not far from you - St. Chuck.

Iowa is almost all private land as well you know.
I'm not a big fan of Iowa actually, but I do prefer it to Illinois.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.