May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (MattH, Borderbill, Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,034
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

A screen to keep wasps from building nests in a gun barrel might be a good idea, but I don't think that's what these mystery items are. But I have no clue and haven't even submitted a wild ass guess.

I did once come very close to pulling the trigger on a 20 ga. shotgun that I leave in my garage when something told me to stop and check the bore. It was packed solid with a mud dauber wasp nest, and certainly would have blown up. The little bastards will nest in any small opening, and once did the same thing to the bore of a .177 cal. spring piston pellet rifle. I now cover the muzzle of my garage gun with an oiled rag to keep critters out.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of "Dirt Dobber" nests, I went through a whole day trying to get a weed eater to start and couldn't. I replaced plug, filter, primer ball, fuel line, new gas. I was getting fire to the plug, but it wouldn't hit a lick. Gave up in disgust and took it to a shop to be fixed. $40. later, found out it wouldn't start cause a d@#$%^ dirt dobber nest had been built in the muffler, and the exhaust was plugged.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

huntermn, the "baskets" do not seem to mesh together. Just two nearly identical samples.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John E, that's an interesting thing you found. Amazing what the internet can do. My " baskets" have closed ends. Does your pictured screens have a closed end ?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, I do think the "baskets " could be shot concentrators as others have suggested. I think , if so, they might have been used in punt guns or similar. I cannot think of a use for the loop on the closed ends, though. As said before, they were obviously put there for some reason.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm surprised no one has guessed scrotal protectors from summer weight suits of armor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Were the shot concentrators of old made with brass or iron? Yours looks like iron mesh?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The "baskets" are a steel or iron wire mesh. The open edges are woven tighter and may have solder on them. Obviously, they are woven to the exact shape, not made out of flat stock mesh or similar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are on the wrong path. The loops on the bottoms just don't add up to shot concentrators. Bet'cha they have nothing to do with shooting. Now one thing we can deduce is they were intended to be hung from a string upside down, perhaps one on each end.....(see my tag line below).....

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.