May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, buckstix, Southern Sport, dblgnfix, Jimmy W, R. Glenz), 1,052 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,545
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#406488 06/11/15 11:19 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What's up with the LC Smith forum?
Seems really dead in the water lately.
Few new posts. Nobody responding to posts etc.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

Their rules are too restrictive...no advertising guns or parts for sale, etc. Nobody has any need for such a forum.

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun".
Julio #406490 06/12/15 01:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Julio
Their rules are too restrictive...no advertising guns or parts for sale, etc. Nobody has any need for such a forum.

I agree and quit posting there years ago. They literally IMO shot themselves in the foot!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can post gun parts for sale, that was never restricted. They are in the process of having a separate section for gun selling of L.C. Smiths between members although this has not been worked out yet.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still post there but sometimes just asking about a guns value/desirability is looked upon as trying to sell a gun.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm reading a lot of uncalled-for criticism here.
First, supporting JDW's comment, there is a question about IRS status when it comes to actively selling guns on a not-for profit site, resulting in deletion of veiled posts regarding values. To date, this issue is sidestepped by being an active member and advertising in the quarterly journal at no charge (which,BTW contains a wealth of information in each issue). Of note, the other vintage gun forums either use this feature or are even more restrictive.
Second, as to being "dead in the water"--- it is rare when a question goes unanswered for any length of time, usually as the result of a poorly-worded question or, more likely, the fact that the question has been addressed in a recent post. The site has a search function that is quite effective, underutilized by many infrequent posters.
Finally, there are several members who go out of their way to answer questions posted on the forum, and, most likely, haven't responded because they don't know the answer!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"First, supporting JDW's comment, there is a question about IRS status when it comes to actively selling guns on a not-for profit site, resulting in deletion of veiled posts regarding values"

Perhaps Dave W. would care to comment on this since it's a new one on me. In our case; The site isn't selling the gun and only gets a token support donation of $10 when a member sells one on here.
Furthermore I for one am on several other forums where sales take place and I've never heard of this being an IRS issue!
Jim

Last edited by James M; 06/12/15 03:05 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
James M #406540 06/12/15 03:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

James,
Apparently, regarding sales the IRS differentiates between a (dot) org and a (dot) com site. That is my understanding from attending the last LCSCA BOD meeting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too am a member and what laxcoach stated is correct. One of the reasons guns were not sold on the site is sometimes there is friction between the buyer and the seller, mostly from the buyer stating something is wrong with the gun, same as on here and elsewhere. Our site does not need this aggravation and is not something that should be posted for all to see, that is why we are looking for a way to do this between members that have to then log-in. There is usually less friction between members in selling guns than to non members.

The L.C. Smith site is open to anyone that is looking for information as to when their gun was made as we have all the ledgers from 1890, or having a problem with ejectors, Hunter One Trigger, etc, looking for schematics or pictures on how to fix something, who to send it to for repair. The list would go on and on.
On our site you do not need to log in, just post what you want to have answered.
Most of the information given, if you had to send it to a gunsmith at his rate per hour plus shipping is quite a bargain and maybe we to should have a login to get these questions answered and this way gain new members, still a good deal at $40.00 a year.

As stated by laxcoach, many of these questions can be answered by typing in what you are looking for in the Search box, but as most of us are lazy we would rather just type it in and wait for an answer, which is usually given. With all the knowledge on this site there are not many questions if any that are not answered. As redundant as some are, they are still addressed.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Howdy boys...

Been busy working off the honey-do list...Kitchen ceiling is painted, lawn is mowed...and that damn oil leak on the boys CB750 has been identified...now I need to pull the motor (SUX).

So back to the "For Sale" discussion.

I don't sell guns on site. (Although once in a great while I will list a personal firearm for sale. If any one is interested in a low mileage 50's vintage Win 71 Standard or a BRAND NEW Merkel 20 bore boxlock let me know!)

Individuals list their guns for sale in my PUBLIC forum and I ask for...but do not insist upon a $10 donation per sale.

I pay our illustrious government income tax every year and the website has been included in that since it's inception. The site has expenses and income and often I do end up with a nominal annual profit mostly from the advertising and subscriptions I sell for the Double Gun Journal.

Any time a donation is made it is listed on my tax return as INCOME and I get to bend over and pay both the Fed's and the commie libs and felons in waiting currently running NY state.

I also have a NY sales tax registration...I pay albeit annually due to low numbers, both NY state sales and use tax for business related sales and purchases occurring in the great state of NY.

I even have an accountant so I don't have to screw with filing business taxes...they do it for me!

I used to do my own tax until the website came about...I hired a firm as to "hedge my bet" as I don't want or need any interface with any government agency.

So that's the scoop from my end...I am a dot com not a dot org and I get the bend over as I am not a Non-profit entity as defined by the IRS.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.