May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Chad Linder, PALUNC, ithaca1, j7l2, 1 invisible), 286 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,554
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking for some mats to cover tables/shelves where guns get set. Most of what I've found are the cheap, thin, fuzzy imitation felt cleaning mats. I am looking for something thicker and smooth- mousepad material (neoprene?) would be ideal.

Any suggestions? Strong preference for green, as it goes nicely with all the wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would a carpet product work. Maybe indoor/outdoor, or a thin low pile commercial type.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neoprene, or or better yet Ensolite "Fitness Pads" are available. They are also sold as camping pads for sleeping bags. You want a "closed cell" pad like Ensolite so it doesn't absorb moisture.

There's also rubber "Placemat" sized pads available. I buy mine at my local "Everything's a Dollar" store. They're handy to move from bench to bench..Or to the dining room table when your wife's not around.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/20/15 11:03 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a thought, but oil can eventually damage neoprene foam, turning it into sticky gum, which may be a long term concern.
When I was looking to reline an old English gun case, I was looking for wool baize material, and my wife mentioned that if I wanted thicker wool, to look for all wool Melton coating material in the local fabric store. She was right! Lovely weight for gun pads or case lining, lots of colour selection (dark greens, browns, burgundys etc) very classy material, and usually runs $20-40 a yard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fender mats which mechanics use work quite nicely for me and they are cheap at any auto parts store.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Galazan has a nice cleaning pad.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

These are what I use on my work bench.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/drymate-...ats&Ntk=All

Mike C
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used this Tipton neoprene mat - it is soft but also liquid proof.
Tipton mat

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We had carpet put in a while ago and there were scraps. I had the retailer cut them to my specs and bind them. It was cheap and they are great pads.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will most likely be trying several of these in different places.

I asked my wife about yoga mats; turns out she has 3, all very different. I really like one that is made out of closed-cell rubber. It is thinner and less "foamy" than the others, and it is green.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.