May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Karl Graebner, azgreg), 241 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,561
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#401728 04/25/15 03:45 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found this locally and bought it as a curiosity. Any ideas as to the age? Desirable to load, or collectable? Any value?

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't put too much value on my memory, but it seems to me I used to buy a box of these every fall in the early '60's for handloading. First load was a roll crimp, second loading was a star crimp, third load was a "smash" crimp. Then they were thrown away. I'd guess they'd be just fine for Federal paper gold medal loads, maybe have some collector value to an oldster such as myself.

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I and many of us love them. I Load them for my doubles . 19.5 gr Greedot with 1 oz shot. Lots more fun and authentic for the oldies

Sidelock
Sidelock

I reloaded thousands of them - 50 years ago with my father. That's all he loaded for trap and hunting. I was the little guy placing the primer in the reloader as he did the remainder of the work. My pay was the spent primers. I loved shooting them with my slingshot because they whistled as they flew through the air. You know it time to toss these shells when you start to see small burn marks or pin holes where the brass meets the paper and if you reload them one too many times you may get separation of the brass from the paper. I used to love waxing the crimp of our waterfoul loads.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tom C
I reloaded thousands of them - 50 years ago with my father. That's all he loaded for trap and hunting. I was the little guy placing the primer in the reloader as he did the remainder of the work. My pay was the spent primers. I loved shooting them with my slingshot because they whistled as they flew through the air. You know it time to toss these shells when you start to see small burn marks or pin holes where the brass meets the paper and if you reload them one too many times you may get separation of the brass from the paper. I used to love waxing the crimp of our waterfoul loads.

Ah, childhood. I love that story, Tom.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Me, too Tom. Thanks for sharing that.

"Waterfoul" .................. grin, I've felt that way at times, too.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fellow gave me 50 pounds of them once fired. I use them for Black Powder loads in my Parker Lifter two loads then toss. Go three and I get some separation. Also use a O/S wad crimp gets a little messy otherwise.

Love em

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, childhood my butt! I was into trap shooting very young. I sat inside the trap house placing clays on the plate by hand never knowing when the release would be pressed and whether the clay would fracture in my face inside the house. Catch hell for shutting down the range if I had to wave the cease fire flag for less than the loss of a limb. No eye protection, usually got a break after 3 hours to refill my canteen, maybe get a free hotdog from the club bbq if I had any money and back into the trap house for another three hours of heat without a breeze. Pay was 25 cents per hour. Never was offered a chance to take a few shots or handle a nice gun or two. I started this at age 12 because a neighbor up the street told my dad I would enjoy the easy job. I quit after about 6 shoots once I could convince my dad this wasn't fun or safe. Did nothing to endear trap shooters for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan - can you tell I have been married to an English teacher for 36 years☺️. I am not going to show her that.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hell, Jerry, I didn't even get the 25 cents. My father told me to go down there and keep the trap running. What I hated was the occasional doubles squad that liked to see how fast a tempo they could maintain. That was mayhem. I'm glad kids don't have to do that nowadays.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.