May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, RWG, Ian Forrester, KDGJ, CJ Dawe, 1 invisible), 461 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,545
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

B&Ps 7/8 and 1 oz loads are about perfect for our guns. The pressure is about 6600 psi and they are about 1200 ft/sec

Boxlock
Boxlock

On Sale now at Cabela's just ordered 2 cases -

B&P

Thanks,

Joe
Sidelock
Sidelock

I buy B&P's and load near duplicates. Have given a box to several shooters, they are instant converts. You can also get them from Aerostar outdoors delivered to your door in a few days. Although the last flat I bought was at Cabelas.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never see pressures listed by the manufacturers. I shot 1 1/8 oz shells at 1145 fps. Where will the pressure be one those? Is that too much for a Parker Trojan (1921) or an Ithaca NID when shooting a fair amount of clays? What can I feed a Sterlingworth for turkey and geese?

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No arguments w/anything previously posted. In simplest terms old wood is not appreciative of recoil, regardless of pressure generated by the cartridge. [lest it get mis-read, I am not inferring there is any relationship between pressure & recoil, thanks] That is more so w/side locks IMHO, because of the lesser amount of wood in their wrists.

I expect that Joe Wood, a frequent poster here has a much experience with shooting older hammer guns afield as most. His pref., unless I am mistaken, is PB for low pressure powder. Hard to come by any longer, but worth looking for just the same because there is a great deal of tested data for it ... & it works.

For most game behind dogs or targets 28 grams of shot is sufficient. Use larger sized shot for larger game, it is the most efficient way to go about it.

Also, in the FWIW dept. I find that a charge bar marked for 9/8oz. shot throws an almost perfect 28 grams of quality reclaimed shot, sometimes going + ten pellets, but not always. Something worth consideration? Perhaps.

addendum: Almost forgot, you will quite likely NEVER need more than 1200 fps loads if shot size [lead] is appropriate to game. That should open a whole new can, eh?

Last edited by tw; 03/17/15 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

B&P High Pheasant 1oz. loads are in the 6K psi range and have proven deadly on wild pheasants and sharptails for me. My duck load is 7/8oz. ITX 6's over PB and my target load is 7/8oz 8's over Greendot, None are over 1200 fps and there aren't many cripples.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pressure is not directly related to recoil. However, it is directly related to what can happen to the metal parts of a gun, as mentioned above. (And, as graphically illustrated by Sherman Bell in his destruction tests, reported in Double Gun Journal--although worth noting those were examples of EXTREME overpressure loads. Well above proof pressure, let alone service pressure.)

Unlike some, however, I don't think we need to look for 5,000 psi loads for our vintage guns. For one thing, sometimes ultra-low pressure loads don't perform well in cold weather. The old reloading manuals--for example, from Lyman--used to note on some loads "not recommended for cold weather". Sometimes low pressure, sometimes very low velocity.

Re gjw's earlier post on a low pressure hunting load, I've used something quite similar on pheasants for a long time. 1 1/8 oz shot in a Federal Gold Medal hull with Unique, Fed 12S3 wad. Also around 1200 fps and 7,000 psi. I would not want to shoot a round of skeet with that load in a light British game gun, but it's fine for hunting--and I don't need 1 1/8 oz for skeet anyhow.

Re recoil relative to shot charge and velocity, I shot a few Kent Fasteel loads at preserve chukars yesterday. (Preserve requires nontox.) 7/8 oz, 1500 fps. I was shooting a sub-6# Ithaca Classic Doubles 20ga. Thought the darned thing doubled the first time I pulled the trigger. Wow! Looking at my ballistics book, I find that load has a recoil energy of 24.5 ft/lbs. I'd never shot anything heavier than a standard lead target load, 7/8 oz @ 1200 fps--which has almost exactly half the recoil energy. (And most of the time, shooting skeet, I use 3/4 oz reloads.) Now I know why it kicked that hard!

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/17/15 09:51 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: shinranchgrouse
On Sale now at Cabela's just ordered 2 cases -

B&P

Thanks for this; just ordered a couple cases myself. Free shipping for the remainder of today with the code 35HOT.

B&P Competition One 1oz and 7/8oz are listed at 6530 and 5804 psi respectively.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To stay in practice during the "off-season" I shoot some sporting clays with my SxS's. For the last 4 years or so when shooting the sporting clays I shoot the RST 3/4 oz., #8 shot. I like the shells - they bust clays and don't bust me. That said they seem to burn awfully dirty in my barrels. Anyone else had any experience with this round? I can shoot the 1 oz. RST loads and they seem to burn so much cleaner in my guns.

Thanks!

Last edited by 1cdog; 03/17/15 02:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like shooting the RST 3/4 oz shells too. They are noticeably dirtier than the 1 oz loads, but they don't kick either. They break clays just fine. I figure I'm going to clean the barrels after a days shooting anyhow. Nice thing about doubles is the fouling stays in the barrels...Geo

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.