May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (R Reynolds, Guy Ave, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 415 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,469
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#397210 03/12/15 11:08 AM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a long gun which the seller sent to my FFL. When it arrived at the FFL the box had extensive damage. Seeing this the FFL decided to refuse delivery and had the gun returned to the seller. He took about a dozen pictures of the box before it went back. He was allowed to put some tape on the box to seal it back up, which surprised me. But at least the box was closed when it left his shop.

Surprise, surprise, the seller packed it poorly and failed to buy the insurance I had paid for. Apparently one or two layers of bubble wrap around a gun, thrown into a box loosely, works well for some shippers but it failed in this case. He now has the gun back in his hands and it did suffer major damage in shipping. Broken stock and ruined scope with assorted scrapes and gouges thrown it for good measure. My credit card company has returned my money. And he is mad because we did not just accept the gun. Been there and done that.

It becomes a pissing contest and the shipper always claims poor packing is not an legit insurance claim and they are right to do so. Then the seller claims it is your gun now because your FFL "signed" for it and you have to file a claim with the carrier, who you already know will denied your claim. And if he do not buy the extra insurance you paid for there is no money to make a claim against other than the minimum basic $100 amount.

Then for some reason the seller gets pissed if you mention the problem in feedback, on the web site he sells at. He claims it all your fault and screws your feedback rating because he screwed up. Don't leave bad feedback because you screwed up. Had he just taken the gun back and refunded my money instead of posting a bad feedback and given me grief for a month I would have let it die. When he posted a negative feedback I posted an honest feed back which really pissed him off. But after all the crap he gave me a honest feedback was what he got and other buyers should read feedback's on both ends of a problem. I just wish they let me post a picture with the feedback. Now I see the feedback has been deleted. It is a "disputed" transaction I am told. Not the first negative feedback I have seen deleted on a seller.

Note to shippers, bubble wrap is not a force field and boxes get dropped and thrown around in transit. Pack it well and fill the box with crumple news paper at the least. Ship in a cheap plastic gun case and charge for it if you must. Buy the insurance, if you charge for it, or the damages are all out of your pocket.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just shipped a gun. Bubble wrapped it really good then put it in a box. I just could not bring myself to send it out like that. My gut told me it was not enough. So, I got another box and some shipping peanuts to effectively surround the original box in 2 inches of peanuts. Made me feel lot better about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just shipped a couple guns. First, barrels off. Wrapped and taped in cotton towel, wrapped in bubble wrap. Barrels in 32" PVC 3" pipe. Stock and receiver wrapper in towel, wrapped in bubble wrap. Stock/receiver plus barrel in PVC go into double wall carton with every space filled. Zero movement. Will not me damaged by normal bad and rough handling.

Can't say for being thrown off roofs or run over by forklifs and delivery trucks.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never underestimate the creativity of a shipping company to damage an item. It's a shame the UPS storefronts won't ship firearms. This would eliminate packing-insurance disputes if you could get the store to do the packing and insure it. They'd be hard pressed to blame the shipper-owner for problems relating to packing should they arise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who was the shipper UPS ?

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

UPS requires all claims be filed by the shipper, not the receiver. If a gun/box is received with damage they want you to hold it for inspection, not shipping it back.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
UPS requires all claims be filed by the shipper, not the receiver. If a gun/box is received with damage they want you to hold it for inspection, not shipping it back.

John

If I had been in Jon's position, I hope I would have had the presence of mind to do what he did based upon the subsequent conduct of seller. Any claim was uninsured. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just shipping out a rifle now, I use USPS for all handguns and most long guns.
Fed-Ex would be my second choice,with UPS a distant 3rd. Its my understanding that UPS-at least they used to,subs out any insurance claim and there are lots of issues collecting form that company.

Hillary For Prison 2018
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ups was the shipper. But to be fair it was so poorly packed it could have been anyone and it would have been damaged. Bubble wrap is not a magical force field. I did not see it in person but the pictures were bad. My FFL refused to accept delivery. He has fought ups several times for insurance claims and never got one penny. Was the tn damaged in shipping? Yes. Was it their fault? No. And you will never collect a claim for such a poorly packed item.

The fact is that if I was selling a rifle for well over a grand, I would ship it in a 30 dollar case to protect it. Cost of doing business. Instead the seller used three dollars of cheap bubble wrap and tossed it into a box too large for his needs without additional packing material. Under packed by a large margin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks KY,

like you say,this time not the fault of the shipper-unfortunatly they UPS is not known for paying claims even when packed properly.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.