April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (battle, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 422 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently picked up a little Belgian guild jones underlever hammer 16, with non-rebounding hammers. It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. Just out of curiosity, can non-rebounding hammers be converted to rebounding hammers? I've never heard of this being done..

Sidelock
Sidelock

i would think you would need to replace the internals on the lock

the sear and tumbler would be different - not sure about the main spring

finding parts to fit might be the issue,

back lock or side lock - L&R makes modern copies of both, but i never looked to see if they are rebounding

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Mark.
I am sure you will find that it would be an uneconomical conversion as far as the cost is concerned.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you. I suppose it would be uneconomical.

Sidelock
Sidelock

you could always start shopping for a rebounding hammer gun now

save the non-rebounder for clays

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have converted a couple, both bar action. Essentially you have to change or modify the tumbler and almost certainly replace the main spring as the 'passive' arm needs to be considerably longer.
Some conversions are quite simple, only needing a new spring and an extension on the forward side of the tumbler to pick up the 'passive' arm of the spring.
Others can be far more complicated, especially back action locks which by their slim nature, sometimes won't allow the necessary movement on the spring and/or foul the sear spring.
Back at the height of the hammergun era, the conversion was commonplace and in fact many guns assumed to be rebounding as original were beautifully converted and show no sign of it. This can often be deduced by the date of the gun compared with the date of Stanton's patent.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
I have converted a couple, both bar action. Essentially you have to change or modify the tumbler and almost certainly replace the main spring as the 'passive' arm needs to be considerably longer.
Some conversions are quite simple, only needing a new spring and an extension on the forward side of the tumbler to pick up the 'passive' arm of the spring.
Others can be far more complicated, especially back action locks which by their slim nature, sometimes won't allow the necessary movement on the spring and/or foul the sear spring.
Back at the height of the hammergun era, the conversion was commonplace and in fact many guns assumed to be rebounding as original were beautifully converted and show no sign of it. This can often be deduced by the date of the gun compared with the date of Stanton's patent.

Thanks Toby. This is a back action Belgian guild gun with beautifully polished locks and a long curved mainspring. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" probably applies here, but I appreciate knowing what's involved. Here's a few pics of the gun after I cleaned it up, just for grins. I can take a photo of the locks also if you're curious:

Before:

After:

[/URL]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
if that's not one of your grain paintings -

actually even if it is - nice looking wood for a gun that age.

the whole gun looks great - thanks for the pics

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus
Mark,
if that's not one of your grain paintings -

actually even if it is - nice looking wood for a gun that age.

the whole gun looks great - thanks for the pics

Thank you. That you had to ask tells me I did a decent job. There was little grain on it to start with wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like non-rebounding locks as it is easier to cock both both hammers when bringing the gun up to shoot. On most rebounding locks it is difficult to impossible to cock both hammers as the gun is raised. Also admit that black powder is more fun but do shoot mostly smokeless in damascus barrels.
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.