Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34214 04/04/07 08:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll be spending two weeks in Chicago on business very soon. On these trips I normally take a shotgun and shoot some clays. There are some courses around the Chicago area I would like to try. BUT.Reading through my copy of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" I find under Illinois the last sentance says " All other firearms must be registered with the Chicago police before entering the city". Now as I'll be staying downtown and not passing through could this be a problem? The passing through laws are not necessarily the ones to worry about if you are spending time somewhere. I'd hate to have one of my guns grabbed and me have legal trouble. I'd like some opinions if you could offer them.
Thanks,
Frank

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chicago, like some other anti-gun cities has a bit of a reputation for harrassing lawful gun owners passing through their jurisdiction. The Firearm Owner's Protection Act 1986 allows anyone to transport a firearm through any jurisdiction in the nation as long as they lawfully own the gun according to the laws of their home jurisdiction. The gun typically must be unloaded, locked in a case, and separate from the ammunition. HOWEVER, staying within the jurisdiction of Chicago, rather than just passing through, I can not say for certain. There will likely be a time limit before one must declare it or comply with the laws of the jurisdiction.

The folks at Illinois State Rifle and Pistol Association might be able to give you accurate information:
http://www.isra.org/

Even when in full compliance with the laws, some gun owners have been harrassed.

JM #34219 04/04/07 09:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO, I would studiously avoid going to Chicago and northern Illinois if at all possible, just as I refuse to go to MA, CA and NJ. -- Ed

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

My worst gun buying experience was at an old CADA show in Villa Park[?]
The Chicagoland cops are gun grabbers!

I drive from the suburbs of Chicago to the West- side, or South-Side or Downtown every day and rarely without at least a couple guns.While things could obviously be better, most of the stories you hear are stories. I've heard for years about CPD taking guns from law-abiders, but have never heard a first hand account.

You cannot wear a pistol on your hip in Illinois (it sucks, I know)If you live in Chicago City Limits you can't have a handgun, if you don't and you're driving through you can. If they ask you if you have one, you can say no. They cannot detain you, or search you, it's still part of the U.S.A.

If you're staying at a hotel in Chicago, you are "travelling through" residents need to register.

If your gun is unloaded, and cased NO ONE in Illinois can bother you, it's the law. It's even printed on the ISP website that the gun does NOT have to be in the trunk.
Illinois residents need a FOID card, NO ONE else does.

I have exchanged cased shotguns with friends on Clark and Washington and no one gave it a second look. I have carried cased guns or all kinds into O/Hare Airport in front of dozens of CPD and no one gave it a second look. I've been pulled over speeding by CPD in my truck with buckets of hulls in the back and the cop said "Do you have any guns?" I said "of course I do" and we proceeded to have a curbside gunshow, He really liked my "Pedro"

The CADA show is held in Saint Charles Illinois, in Du Page County (a county that thought Goldwater was a commie) I don't know anyone in DuPage that doesn't have a gun, so I doubt they took your guns Mr.G

So you don't have to guess or take advice from people 1000 miles away here's link to ISP gun regs page:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Most importantly,
If you want to shoot at Northbrook Sports Club send me a PM. I'll get you set up.

Last edited by concguy; 04/04/07 10:35 PM.
concguy #34247 04/05/07 01:19 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank,

Despite all the bashing and rumors you will not have a problem.

ILLINOIS--A nonresident is permitted to transport a firearm provided it is unloaded, enclosed in a case, and not easily accessible. A nonresident may possess a firearm for licensed hunting, or at a Department of Law Enforcement recognized target shooting range or gun show.

The City of Chicago requires all firearms possessed in the city to be registered. Handguns not previously registered in Chicago cannot be registered. Oak Park, Evanston, Morton Grove, Highland Park, Wilmette, and Winnetka prohibit the possession of a handgun. Firearms may be transported under the general rule through Chicago for a lawful recreational firearm-related activity.

O'Hare airport is officially under the jurisdiction of the City of Chicago. I have flown in and out of O'Hare many times with my firearms.

Just use common sense. Keep the shotgun in a locked case. Keep the shotgun in the trunk. (You would do this in any large city.) The CPD is not stopping every car on the street and doing a search for firearms, despite what some would have you believe. The registration applies to residents of Chicago, not some one on a business trip. If you need to purchase ammunition here, all you need is an out of state drivers license or if a resident an FOID (which is not a big deal).

For an interesting take on the situation:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1568/is_n4_v26/ai_15630195

The state of Illinois has spent millions on a state of the art shooting center in downstate Sparta. http://dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/default.html

By the way, if you are looking for sporting clays or trap, let me know. I don't shoot trap, but have a friend that can help you. (At a club just outside the Chicago city limits by the way.) The sporting clays courses here are numerous, but require some drive time. I belong to a club that has both 5 stand and a 10 stand walking course. Just let me know.

If you want to look over some guns, there is good variety at Gander Mountain in St. Charles. Also, Cabelas is breaking ground for a new store here. It is supposed to be operational by the fall and will have a gun library...

If you have time one Saturday, you may want to drive down to Beecher, Il and visit with John Griffin of Classic Guns. He does some wonderful restoration of Case Coloring. You can never tell what John will have in the shop that he is working on.

Pete

PeteM #34252 04/05/07 07:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The CADA show was in Villa Park/Elmhurst or some such place, and the cops were thugs. Lucky I could prove I was from Missouri, as they had their mitts wraped around my antique gun.

concguy #34260 04/05/07 08:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: concguy
If your gun is unloaded, and cased NO ONE in Illinois can bother you, it's the law. It's even printed on the ISP website that the gun does NOT have to be in the trunk.
Illinois residents need a FOID card, NO ONE else does.

So you don't have to guess or take advice from people 1000 miles away here's link to ISP gun regs page:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

According to the website you have linked to Illinois Law does not preempt local law

Quote:
How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

So apparently it is not the Illinois State Police website that you should be looking at for questions about Chicago - they have their own rules. No?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
The CADA show was in Villa Park/Elmhurst or some such place, and the cops were thugs. Lucky I could prove I was from Missouri, as they had their mitts wraped around my antique gun.

You're repeating yourself.

No doubt it was about appearances. These big city cops just aren't used to seeing a plain ole country squire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank, take the invite form concguy. Northbrook has a lot of shooting venues. If you trip is in May, Northbrook is hosting a shooting festival of some kind

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.