May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (AGS, Jimmy W, canvasback, NCTarheel, 3 invisible), 934 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,660
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eltren
This is very interesting, but the answer is simple. I just got back from Spain, talked to shooters there, watched a tournament, went to gunshops, quizzed the owners.

The reasons are EXACTLY the same for flat sales in the US as they are in Spain.:

1: Jobs
2: Jobs
3: Jobs
4: flat or declining income among the employed.
5: declining small game populations.
6: less access to hunting
7: higher cost for access to hunting
8: bureaucracy
9: cultural, generational change driving demand for OU's, semis.
10: increasing urbanization

The posh SXS is the MG or bugeyed Sprite of today. It may get you there, but its still mainly a curiosity for people with disposable income.

Which is a pity. If things dont change, the workshops of Eibar and Elgoibar are going to go the way of the passenger pigeon, and soon.

Well and succulently put, and I entirely agree.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Succulently? Succinctly? Either way, thank you.

A comment on depreciation:

I bought a new Garbi AG in Spain 12 years ago. They hosed the stock job, refused to make it good. I sold it a couple years later, and still managed to turn a proper profit.

The point is there's no hard and fast rules. Not every gun depreciates. Not every gun will make you money. And unless you're in the trade, who cares?

Last edited by eltren; 10/07/14 10:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is just an aside but I think at one time there were some nice O/U's coming out of Spain, Laurona has always been my favorite. The fact that many of them have double-single triggers is a big part of that. I just recently got this 12/20 gauge 2 barrel set. The 20 gauge barrels weigh the same as the 12 gauge barrels even though they do not have ribs on the sides due to the larger spacing.
Why did the O/U's "go away?"
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie
Originally Posted By: texasquailguy

4. People who want a twice barrel shootgun are buying Turkish or Russian guns for around $1k that are no where near as nice as a Spanish gun but they work and can shoot steel. I have a friend who has 5 of them. If one should break, he throws it out and gets another.

Including me. I think I now have six Turkish made shotguns; four SxS and two self-loaders. I wont use a Spanish gun for something it was never intended to do.

But, to paraphrase King Juan Carlos,

When I talk business I speak English. When I talk of love I speak French. But when I talk to God, I use Spanish. Tambien, "Quando Yo quiere una cervesa muy mas fino, Yo hable Aleman"!!

When I hunted I used a Remington model 31. When it comes time to take care of business I reach for the Police Remington 870. But when I want to feel God Himself smile, I carry a Spanish side lock.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Succulently? Succinctly? Either way, thank you.

Ouch. An all too helpful spell checker and a proof reader asleep at the switch. In any event, youre welcome.

A comment on depreciation:

I bought a new Garbi AG in Spain 12 years ago. They hosed the stock job, refused to make it good. I sold it a couple years later, and still managed to turn a proper profit.

The point is there's no hard and fast rules. Not every gun depreciates. Not every gun will make you money.

Ive been financing my Spanish shotgun addiction by selling off the Lugers, P.38s, and Mauser C96 pistols Id collected over the last forty odd years. Its a little startling what a Walther HP or Artillery Luger will bring in these days. OTOH, when my mother passed on we just about couldnt give away her S&W model 64.

But all told, its a rare day when one can sell a current production, commonly available firearm, purchased at retail, for a profit.

And unless you're in the trade, who cares?

But, at the risk of a really odious pun, thats right on the money. There was a time when I was in this for the money, but now its for the fun of it. My heirs and assigns have a bigger interest in what my guns will bring when they are finally sold than I do.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I had to buy Euros for the Spain trip. Returned the leftovers yesterday and got a shock: I lost money while I owned them!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/upshot...nav=bottom-well

The flip side is, those Spanish doubles are getting cheaper by the hour.
Place your orders now, ladies and gents. No fooling, if it gets to 1:1 i might have to go into hock and get a brand new one.

Last edited by eltren; 10/08/14 04:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, yes. In the currency wars the dollar has so far been a clear loser. Which makes Euro priced Spanish shotguns dollar cheaper and, I suppose, demonstrates the old saying, "every curse contains a blessing."

Let's watch what happens in the Nov. 9 Catalonia independence referendum. If Catalonia does try to exit Spain the fox will well and truly be in among the chickens. God knows what the Basques would do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie
Oh, yes. In the currency wars the dollar has so far been a clear loser. Which makes Euro priced Spanish shotguns dollar cheaper and, I suppose, demonstrates the old saying, "every curse contains a blessing."

Let's watch what happens in the Nov. 9 Catalonia independence referendum. If Catalonia does try to exit Spain the fox will well and truly be in among the chickens. God knows what the Basques would do.
Quizas, El Zorro Y los polos-- Que lastima, El Zorro tiene hambre todo el dia y la noche tambiem. Adios, polos!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
Boxlock

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When the Euro strengthens guns get more expensive here immediately. When it gets weaker it takes many months to years for guns to get less expensive.
At least that's what I've noticed.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.