May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Licensed to kill, smp190, Vol423, KY Jon, cpa), 247 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,876
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32317 03/24/07 08:52 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought I'd share this with the folks here. I'm experimenting with a new online video delivery system (the best I've seen), and put three commercial videos on my test site. (I do have permission to put these up.)

One is the "Wingshooting USA" video from the National Shooting Sports Foundation. It's about hunting preserves, and it has some pretty video of wingshooting. The guns are O/Us and one SxS (mine, of course).

The site will put a video player onto your computer. It's okay. This is the same player that Fox is starting to use.

http://www.maxcast.com/guntalk

I'm working with the folks who have the video streaming technology to add some features. This is still in beta.

Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,
Adding this proprietary media player to my PC is a non-starter. It's an information collection engine. (I don't watch web-based CNN, FOx or You Tube clips for the same reason). Obviously a vast majority of netizens don't have similar reservations, so count my opinion accordingly.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You'll have to explain the "information collection engine" part. What are you basing that on?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, you didn't hook up with one of those NSA websites, did you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, Yeti is pretty computer savy. I am not particularly so, but I do know that a great many of similar programs imbed "Spyware" onto your hard drive and mine data with it. Two of my sons are programers in the fraud detection division of the largest credit card processor in the world, and they told me this. They removed three such programs from my computer, it ran noticeably faster afterward.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm just trying to figure out what he's talking about.

NSA? No Such Agency?

<grin>

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,
It's not the devil or the NSA, it's plain jane list based advertising that I try to avoid when possible (the e-mail and plain mail list companies make big brother look like a piker).

It's an old habit, like using slightly different middle initials with every magazine subscription so at least I know the source of the well-directed junk mail.

The Privacy Policy of most of these vendors is "we won't sell your data to others but have the right to use it ourselves" and when they have enough data and email addys, they open a web advert firm to use the data then. It's no big deal for anyone who already looks at CNN.com or You Tube videos. I'd prefer to DL video files and view them with my own player like I do with, uhhh, some of the other interesting web based video offerings *cough* .

No big deal, just one cranky guy (me).

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeti, thanks for the explanation.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.