May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (battle, earlyriser, Der Ami, shrapnel, FallCreekFan, 1 invisible), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,525
Posts545,829
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
VJP Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just picked up a pretty nice Savage 430. Did my research and it seems like a pretty nice gun. I will probably make a project out of it and restore it. Anyway, before I try and force the forearm off, yes its very tight, is there any trick to get it off ? I imagine it comes off just like any other o/u or sxs without a latch and is just held on with spring pressure ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Vince

VJP Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess there's not many owners of these guns out there? :-) I got the forearm off. I actually had to remove the wood from the iron first. Then I had to use a screwdriver to pry the iron off the barrels. Like I said it was tight, very tight. Im guessing the J spring is a tad too long and will have to be filed back a little. I doubt the forearm was ever taken off this gun. It is under way too much spring pressure to remove the forearm by simply pulling it off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first double was a Savage 420, slightly plainer cousin to the 430. Not a lot of those guns out there. They came out about the same time as the Marlin 90. However, after WWII, Marlin continued to produce the 90. The 420/430 did not survive the war, and were only produced for a few years in the late 30's-early 40's. Don't remember any issues with the forend on mine. Sounds like something's not right there. Should just pull off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One place to ask about vintage Savage O/Us is the Savage Collectors Forum on www.24hourcampfire.com. May take a while to get answers, but there are several guys there who know their onions on these not-very-fashionable guns.

I've tried www.savageshooters.com, which has a "Vintage Savage Shotguns" forum, but it seems to be pretty inactive. If you aren't into switch-barrel Savage 110/111/112, etc., there isn't much going on there, IMO. To many guys, Savage=Rifles.

Never owned a 430 or any of its relatives, but I have a friend who has a 16 that he very much likes and has been shooting for at least 40 years.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.