May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Borderbill, MattH, 1 invisible), 331 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,755
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

All you need is to be shot by one of the "Just a couple beers at lunch crowd" to change your opinion on this.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
How does the Scotch get to the cabin?
If it is one of the two Walker Bros- Blackie and Red (with dues paid to George Thoroughgood) I expect it walks in all by itselfie!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Brian #359364 03/01/14 09:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 100% against drinking ANY form of alcohol where firearms, C-4, Det Cord or frag grenades are involved in the daily op plan. Sorry lads, I'm an old Green Irish Mick, who loves his Guinness and Bushmills like a schoolboy loves his pie (Thank Mr. W.C. Handy for that tag line) BUT- there is a time and place for everything-apres le chassuer, Oui-- a French 75 or some VSOP Cognac is great, as Herr JagerMesiter mentioned so well- but before or during Der Jagt-- Verbotten wir nicht Verscheiden!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/01/14 09:35 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

While the general consensus around here is no serious drinking until the guns are cased, there is an exception made for dove shoots. Drinking beer at afternoon dove shoots is pretty much accepted.

Beagle #359450 03/02/14 08:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Beagle
While the general consensus around here is no serious drinking until the guns are cased, there is an exception made for dove shoots. Drinking beer at afternoon dove shoots is pretty much accepted.

Not here, and by here I mean that I've shot doves over a large hunk of Ga. and S.Carolina. In the past 54 seasons of chasing doves hard, and shooting with every class of folks from po' white trash to filthy rich plantation owners, I could count the number of fields where alcohol has been consumed, while shooting, on one hand. And it's not that the shooters won't imbibe at all. I could probably count the times that it wasn't broken out immediately after the shoot one one hand, too.

No one has mentioned it, but there are other reasons besides safety to not drink while shooting. One, it is illegal. And two, it affects your shooting, for the worse. Anyone who doubts this is just fooling himself. I'd love to shoot against anybody that has had two or three beers, for their money. They'll be buying it on credit. I'll just stand behind their pickup and watch from a safe place until their through trying and put their gun up.

Cold beer is not the way to handle extreme heat on an early season dove field. Cold water is.

Maybe it is a regional thing. confused

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know some heavy drinkers who are dove hunters, but I've never seen them drink before or doing a shoot. Afterwards, it's another story. I'd steer clear of a shoot where drinking while shooting is acceptable. I've never seen one..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
All you need is to be shot by one of the "Just a couple beers at lunch crowd" to change your opinion on this.

I've come closer to being shot by guys not drinking than by anyone at a driven shoot. Pretty strict safety measures on those, considering beaters are advancing in your direction. So lots of potential for people to get shot if you're not careful. "The peasants" having higher value these days than they did when it was strictly a sport for the upper classes, I expect the custom on drinking would have changed if it contributed to accidents. Our British contingent can certainly weigh in on the custom surrounding driven shooting.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/02/14 08:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I said SHOT Larry, not imagine what it might be like to be shot.

All the fancy flag waving and whistle blowing on a driven shoot is a ritualized effort to keep people that have limited skills or have been drinking, from shooting the ground staff.

I guess you missed that on your shoot.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ninepointer,

That's a nice set. I hope you enjoy it. It's clear that you're not suggesting that it should be used to provide alcohol while hunting, but with regards to drinking and hunting it's just not worth it. The chance that you could stumble across a warden who would check you and could smell alcohol are just too high, and the possibility of losing your hunting license and/or your have your double confiscated just doesn't make it worth it. That being said, there's nothing wrong with having a few with dinner while at bird camp after a long day's hunt, or even a short one for that matter so long as you're done hunting for the day.

Now when it comes to ice fishing....

Last edited by nca225; 03/02/14 09:47 AM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Beagle

Not here, and by here I mean that I've shot doves over a large hunk of Ga. and S.Carolina. In the past 54 seasons of chasing doves hard, and shooting with every class of folks from po' white trash to filthy rich plantation owners, I could count the number of fields where alcohol has been consumed, while shooting, on one hand. And it's not that the shooters won't imbibe at all. I could probably count the times that it wasn't broken out immediately after the shoot one one hand, too.

No one has mentioned it, but there are other reasons besides safety to not drink while shooting. One, it is illegal. And two, it affects your shooting, for the worse. Anyone who doubts this is just fooling himself. I'd love to shoot against anybody that has had two or three beers, for their money. They'll be buying it on credit. I'll just stand behind their pickup and watch from a safe place until their through trying and put their gun up.

Cold beer is not the way to handle extreme heat on an early season dove field. Cold water is.

Maybe it is a regional thing. confused

SRH

I'm not endorsing the practice, just reporting what I've seen. Anyone looking for beer in my cooler on a dove field will find only water and Gatorade. It's mostly the younger crowd drinking beer at a shoot. As long as I can put some distance between us, I can tolerate it, if by myself. Would not take my grandchild there.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.