May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 220 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,124
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have foolproof techniques for drilling through bolt holes in butt stocks that they are willing to share?

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose one way would be to drill three adjacent large holes deep into the butt end of the stock and then chisel out the webs in between so that you have a deep hollowed out area. Then when you drill the hole for the through bolt it won't have to be a really long hole that would be more subject to error. I think Ithaca used that idea on their Nitro Specials.
Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/30/14 12:17 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Even though you set it up on centers with a lathe (a friend of mine even uses a metal lathe), work from both ends and meet in the middle. Don't try to drill all the way through from one end--that is where you are apt to veer off.

Last edited by steve white; 01/30/14 12:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

if you are starting from a blank, what about drilling the hole first, and then shaping the stock around it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Dennis

I have only seen the drilling of a gun stock through hole once and it was done after the stock shape was initially cut from the blank. If the through hole is drilled at this point it provides the rotational Axis line for the stock blank in a duplicator.
The drilling method for the hole used a jig and a modified drill bit which had a smaller diameter extension rod welded to its base, the smaller rod diameter allowed for wood chip removal thus preventing the drill from jamming. The jig consisted of a close fitting to the drill metal tube some twelve inches long whose angle could be adjusted to give the correct path from the stock butt to head with the wood blank firmly clamped to stop any movement. The drill is passed through the tube into the wood and with frequent removal of the drill to remove the wood chips, also to further improve stability of the jig shims are fitted in the tube centring the drills extension rod keeping everything in a straight line.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis:
Maybe not foolproof but darn close. Usually done between centers on a lathe with the blank being either held by hand (recommended)or fixtured against the compound. I drill from both ends. The drill is the important part. Most custom makers will use what's commonly known as a gundrill, easily shop made. (If nobody else chimes in with a picture of one I will take a photo of mine later today and post it.) It's a fairly slow process because you need to frequently clear the chips from the flute, but the drill will not wander. I have drilled dozens of holes and they normally will meet in the center within .020 or so.
Craig Libhart

Sidelock
Sidelock

Over on AR under single shot rifles, find 303 martini. One way with a minimum of tooling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done this several ways. The most reliable way I have found is to have a drill bit turned down in to a step bit first. Then weld it to a rod to make it longer.

If you are drilling a 3/8" hole start with a 3/8" drill bit and turn, grind, the first inch down to under 1/4". You can buy these already made this way. The small front end portion will guide the bit and prevent it from wondering. Then have it welded to your rod. An inch is all you need for a guide. And it is fine to drill from both ends or just one. Clamp the stock firmly and I use my drill press drilling at the lowest speed possible. Heat and vibration are your enemies. I do one direction most times but have done both. Clamping and getting the stock repositioned so all the lines in exactly same is more trouble than it is worth.

Here is what a step drill bit looks like. If you get lucky you can find one already made in a size near what you need. You can always enlarge the hole to size if needed using your first hole as a pilot hole.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313HJ76AP8L.jpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several of these techniques will work, but Craig Libhart's is the best.I'm on my way out the door for the last two days of Alabama deer season, so I will let him post a photo of a gundrill and not post one myself.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the suggestions.

Craig-please post a photo of the drill.

Dennis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.