April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld, 1 invisible), 463 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have not understood why they ,<Purdey for example> made non rebounding Hammers in the 1870's along with under leavers.I know the Jones under leaver was or is very good but it is a royal pain compared to the top leaver.Could it have been cheaper?

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

The non-rebounding locks are almost always easier to cock than rebounding locks. Other than the bit of time it take to pull the hammers to half cock there is no disadvantage to non-rebounding locks. For hunting I much prefer to use non-rebounding hammer guns.
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably non rebounding and underlever hammer guns were previously used and enjoyed by people ordering new guns. They wanted something just like they had before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

not everyone always wants the new fangled stuff

things changed fast in those days and i doubt everyone always wanted the newest ideas. Tradition you know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe nonrebounding hammers support primers better and maybe resulted in fewer pierced primers in the "old days".
Mike

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I do like the ease of a half cocked hammer .The problem I have had is I'm not sure if it's cocked or not but I am sure if I used a lot I could get used to it.I was dove hunting once and it was like I was in Argentina I was wishing It was a top lever at the time.Also almost shot my dogs head off checking to make sure the gun was on half cock....... she never flenched...... but don't let a thunder storm come up...she'll be gone to China.

Last edited by jeweler; 12/12/13 08:57 AM.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Husqvarna made the Model 20 Underlever sxs with rebounding hammers from 1877 until 1956, not everyone abandon them. Not paying much attention I believe I've seen German underlevers from between the wars.

Last edited by oskar; 12/11/13 03:21 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my Greener at half cock. It is very easy to quickly bring to full bent. I love that feature but as others have said, it can be confusing with a quick glance whether it is on half or full cause full is only a little more than 1/4" further back. Another reason for non rebounding locks to stick around was some shooters felt the hammers fell harder and had more confidence the primer would fire. Could the Stanton patent fees have kept some of the lower priced guns from using the rebounder?

Half cock

Here is full cock. Notice how little difference between half and full.

Action is Greener's January of 1868 patent he called his "Self-acting Striker" in which the striker is forced back by engaging on a small teat on the hammer. Evidently one of the big problems with early primers was the strikers would pierce the primer and become stuck. This definitely eliminated that problem. (This was W.W. Greener's first patent after he left his father's business and set out on his own.) According to Graham Greener's best guess this gun would date to 1872.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 12/12/13 10:30 AM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

All makers would have made almost anything that the customer was willing to pay for. Hammer guns made well after they went out of fashion had to have been made to order. Perhaps an older customer seeking to match his favorite older hammer gun or like some of my family a person who refused to be caught up in the latest new fashion.

I am sure that the expiration of any patents saved a few shillings but not enough to remain in the past without a customer with money in hand. Money and demand drove the bus.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Love that Greener! Wow!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.