March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, KY Jon, Jtplumb, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 819 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,027
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I posted some of this information on an earlier thread, but then patterned some Fiocchi Interceptors, and thought it would more useful to repost this as a separate thread providing a comparison of all three loads together.

I shot these patterns to see if using these loads would allow my "pheasant" gun to work for grouse and woodcock. I used a Verney-Carron 12 ga. sxs with 28" barrels stamped 18.4mm and choked R 0.008 and L 0.023. For an indirect comparison, this gun shot 70% and 65% patterns at 25 and 35 yards using Federal Top Gun loads (1 oz. of 8s).

The three shells patterned were RST Spreaders (1 oz of 8s), Polywad Spred-Rs (1 1/8 oz 8s), and Fiocchi Interceptors (1 oz 8s). The RSTs and Polywads met the nominal pellet counts of 410 and 461 respectively, but the Fiocchis had 423 pellets. I shot five patterns for each load at 15 and 25 yards (reflecting typical grouse and woodcock shots).

15 yards:
RST - 92% (range 90-93%)
Fiocchi - 86% (range 84-88%)
Polywad - 77% (range 69-81%)

25 yards:
RST - 71% (range 57-80%)
Fiocchi - 64% (58-74%)
Polywad - 41% (range 36-55%)

So, based on these patterns, the Polywads open faster, but lose pattern efficiency quickly. The Fiocchis offered some improvement for the IC choke in the right barrel, but the RSTs did not fare as well in that regard. Both the RSTs and Fiocchis had less variability in their patterns than the Polywads.

I used HunterJohn pattern sheets that have a life-sized duck outline in the center, and counted pellet strikes on the duck to measure density at the center of the pattern (maybe not statistically accurate but seems to make field sense). I came up with the following percentages of pellet strikes:

15 yards:
RST - 27% (range 24-31%)
Fiocchi - 24% (range 20-33)
Polywad - 10% (range 5-20%)

25 yards:
RST - 13% (range 10-14%)
Fiocchi - 12% (range 11-14%)
Polywad - 5% (range 4-8%)

Based on these patterns, the RSTs and Fiocchis had significantly more pellet strikes on the pattern "center" compared to the Polywads.

My take-away was that, at least out of this gun, the Polywads will provide a more open pattern, but the trade-off is less density in the center and a pattern that will not be effective much past 20 yards, even out of a tight Mod. choke. Overall, the Fiocchis offered the best performance for opening the IC choke while maintaining good performance at 25 yards out of the second barrel - both in terms of overall pattern efficiency and pellet strikes at the center. YMMV of course depending on the gun and load used.

Last edited by Doverham; 09/19/13 10:51 AM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great info, Doverham. I have wondered about the comparisons and you have provided data, not speculation. Granted, results will vary gun to gun but your work provides a good starting point.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is my understanding that the spreader loads are best used for opening up patterns in tighter choked guns than IC and weren't developed specifically to open up IC choked shotgun patterns. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Joe.

Gil - The Interceptors are really target loads (they only come in 8s and 8.5s to my knowledge), and the other two are specialty loads for vintage fixed choke guns, so I think they were developed for different reasons. Fiocchi at least does not suggest that the Interceptors were developed only for tight choked guns.

Note that Fiocchi also uses softer shot in their Spreader loads. From their catalog:
Quote:
Spreader Loads Fiocchi Spreaders are available in 1 and 1 1/8 ounce versions for close target presentations. The 1 ounce Interceptor Spreader at 1300 f.p.s. is great for shooters who prefer 1 ounce loads. Two loads with 1 1/8 ounce (the Power Spreader at 1200 and the Rino Spreader at 1250 f.p.s.) offer loads with velocities common with other target loads (and similar target leads). Softer shot and purpose-oriented spreading wads induce larger patterns at shorter ranges for specific applications. These are great in single-barrel target guns when you cant change chokes between two targets. For example, if you encounter a pair of targets with the first shot close and the second far, load the Spreader to shoot first and follow up with your usual target load for the
longer shot. Problem solved.

As a practical matter, these results are consistent with the conventional wisdom that spreader loads don't help much with more open chokes.

Last edited by Doverham; 09/19/13 12:07 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ah have tried awl three brands an still cant seem tu hit most o dem clay birds afly hin on da skeet range!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone have pressure data on the 1 oz & 1 1/8 oz Fiocchi spreaders?

I've not been able to find it published & I seem to remember reading somewhere that all Fiocchi USA ammo is SAAMI Spec which could be problematic for use in some guns.

My 20 yd testing with RST 12ga 1 oz 7 1/2 spreaders out of .008" choke indicates similar results with only about a 2" increase in effective pattern over the RST 7 1/2 Lite load but the spreaders are much less "center dense" so in my opinion still worth using (at least in that particular gun).

It would be nice to have a spreader that opened more than the RST & less rapidly than the Poly Wad in I.C chokes & @ appropriate pressures.

Looks like handloads with the polywad disk & shot on top of the disk is going to be the best way to achieve that from the info supplied on this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham, if you reload using the Polywad inserts, you can improve center density while still achieving spreader results. Two ways of doing it: Mike Campbell places a layer of shot on top of the insert. I use a one-hole punch and cut out 3 half moon notches around the edge of the insert.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I don't have any pressure data on Fiocchi spreaders but I can tell you they are plenty brisk having shot nearly a case in the previous few months on rabbit and close in blooper SC targets. I would be cautious about using in any vintage gun.

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 09/19/13 04:32 PM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.