May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (susjwp, 1 invisible), 298 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,770
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry, no pictures for help. Went to the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly VA on Saturday and saw what to me was an interesting rifle. It was a sporting rifle on the Krag action, original 30-40. It appeared to me to be late 30s to late 40s. The checkering on the forend and pistol grip was very well done point pattern. However there were two small triangular panels on each side where the grip cap and lower edge of the stock come together. I mention this, because the quality of thes two panesl did not look quite as good as the rest of the checkering. The inletting was well done. The rifle was fitted with a Jeager, single lever mount, central over bore. There appeared to be an aluminum spacer block to raise the mount sufficiently high. It had what appeared to be a lyman 48 sight base but no sight. The butt stock had a cheekpiece which had the characteristic shape of the Sedgley Cheekpiece, however there was a high monte carlo comb which immediately brought Jaeger to mind. I would have bought the gun except I didn't like the comb, however with the high scope it probably worked well. I didn't see any markings on the barrel. The owner had no history only saying he had owned it for twenty years. Anybody have any pictures of a Sedgley or Jaeger Krag for comparison? Wish I could have looked deeper and continue to wonder what I may have missed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been looking at that Krag for a couple of shows and can't get too turned on for some reason. This weekend, I saw it on the rack but didn't give it a close look. I'll look closer next show.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

eightbore, that was the first I noticed it. I was primarily turned off by the montecarlo comb as I said above. I already have a Jaeger Krag with a a montecarlo thanks to brokering through Mr. Petrov. Though I am pleased with the one I have, I would like to find another Krag sporter with a straight comb. I was psyched for that rifle until I pulled it forward to check the butt. Oh well, the search continues!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you convinced it came out of the Jaeger shop? Don't most jaeger rifles have markings?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, I'm not convinced of anything. I was only speculating based on the look of the butt and cheekpiece. Perhaps if it's at the next show one of us can look more closely. I haven't had enough experience with Jaegers, especially the early ones. I would assume though the owner would have told me if it was so marked. I was hoping maybe someone would have had a picture of an early Jaeger Krag conversion to compare. Oh, it also had a ventilated recoil pad. Sorry I don't have more info, annoys me also.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.