May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jeremy Pearce, Guy Ave, Parabola, 1 invisible), 509 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,825
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take it all with a grain of salt. The graph Drew posted is from the 1890's as is the wall thickness diagram that I posted. The DuPont info is from the 1930's. They were using lead crushers!

I have great respect for Bell's work. I am also aware his sample size is very small.

Modern barrel designers know the pressures at various points and choose the appropriate steels.

As Quail Hunter 101 points out, there are differences in the max pressures and the steels used over time. Chroming a barrel not will increase the pressures it will handle.

In the end, we are dealing with 100+ year old guns and trying to make informed decisions. Decisions regarding safety for the gun and ourselves. I regularly shoot damascus barrels, others refuse. Learn as much as you can and then make an informed decision.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The ICP published a list of minimum barrel thicknesses for three types of steel classified according to the steel ISO specs. THe diagram gives dimensions for gauges 12, 16 and 20. The graphs are a little confusing and the minimum thickness surprisingly thin compared to actual wall thickness. On the other hand, a barrel is not built to a bare minimum thickness based on pressure and steel strength. A safety factor as well as future honing and bluing is taken into account when designing a gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SGL: It was my hope that someone else would ask so I would not be forced to display my ignorance, BUT what is ICP? Could you provide a link? A summary of the recommendations? Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Then of course there's always this to consider:

Burst is about 11" or 12" in front of the breech...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures of burst barrels are always scary things to look at. But the question always has to be asked: what caused the disaster? The most likely cause is probably an obstruction in the barrel, in which case even relatively thick barrel walls might not prevent catastrophic failure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think all damascus barrels with minimum wall thickness of less than .040 are extremely dangerous and should be left to those who collect them as non-firing relics. And since they are so useless they are terribly overpriced. It is common knowledge that when they were built they were full of flaws and over the past century or so the metal has deteoriated and weakened further. They're nothing but time bombs waiting to remove useful parts of your body. wink

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all who have commented and increased my understanding of the issue. This is a great site for us double gun nuts!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I think all damascus barrels with minimum wall thickness of less than .040 are extremely dangerous and should be left to those who collect them as non-firing relics. And since they are so useless they are terribly overpriced. It is common knowledge that when they were built they were full of flaws and over the past century or so the metal has deteoriated and weakened further. They're nothing but time bombs waiting to remove useful parts of your body. wink

Joe,

That is why I offer a free disposal service. Simply send me those nasty damascus guns and you will never have to worry. grin

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

ICP is the international commission of proof, an association of national proof houses and includes most european gunmaking nations.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You mean the Commission Internationale Permanente (C.I.P.) pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives or
Permanent International Commission(the CIP) for the Proof of Small Arms
http://www.cip-bobp.org/

Pete

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.