May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mel5141, Licensed to kill, ClapperZapper, azgreg, 1 invisible), 373 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,792
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello gentlemen:

Please need your advise regard this matter.

I am trying to fix an AyA model 37 single selective trigger because it doubles (interesting that it doubles only to his owner, who is a left handed shooter).
The next step I want to try is to soften the tension that the inertia block spring do to the system. I just bought a very similar (dimensional talking) tension spring, but it is much stiffer (hard) than the original. I do not want to mess with the original spring, but I can do anything to the new.
I think that I can sofften (weaken) it with heat, but I hope any member of this forum who knows, can tell me the temperature and then what other procedure to do to make it weaker than the original.
What I am trying to do is that the inertia block in this trigger, that prevents an unintentional second pull of the trigger, make its work with a softer kick and, maybe, avoid the double discharge.

As always, thank you in advance for any advise you can give to me.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose,
Heat won't lower the spring rate. It will only soften the steel and allow it to take a different set (length). So, I recommend you don't heat it.

Adding more coils (longer spring) in the finished spring lowers the spring rate. Also, thinning the wire or increasing the coil diameter will lower spring rate.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I keep a dozen or so rolls of piano wire of various gauge so I can make stiffer or lighter springs as I need them. It may surprise you how easy it is to make one up yourself.

John Farner
Eagle Machine Gunsmithing, LLC
Corrales, New Mexico
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tengo varios muelles que trabajo, pero antes de que vamos mas lejos, tengo algunas preguntas. En beneficio de los miembros de hablando solamente ingles, ahora se cambiara a Ingles--

If I may inquire- does this shotgun have a straight hand grip, or a pistol grip? A shooting companion here in Michigan has two straight hand grip Winchester Model 21 double guns; both ejectors and the single selective (mechanical not recoil) trigger- both 16 gauge, one has a straight hand grip (Skeet Gun mfg in 1940) and the other a Field Gun with pistol grip mfg in 1949-- He almost always will double the Skeet gun, no matter which way the selector button is set, due to the staight handed grip, which allows his hand and fingers to move from the recoil of the first shot- However, with the pistol grip Field Grade M21, he has never doubled the trigger/.

Your friend the previous owner is a left handed gentleman? Did he order this fine shotgun with any special stock dimensions or other specifics, including the single trigger, in regards to the weight of the trigger pulls? Is this AYA a recoil operated single selective trigger (like the Belgian Browning Superposed) or mechanical trigger like on the Model 21 shotguns?

Instead of altering the spring factors, perhaps a slightly heavier inertia block might be a solution, but only a real single trigger gunsmith would know this. I am from another point of view, all my doubles have double triggers-

Buena Suerte, a mi nuevo amigo de Mexico- El Zorro

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Convert it to double triggers and then you don't have to deal with all that Mickey Mouse single trigger mechanical nonsense.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the inertia block swings freely and easily on it's pin and does not jam in the forward (blocking) position,,you can test the gun out for doubling problems with out the spring installed.

With out any spring installed at all, the inertia block has nothing to hold it back from doing it's job when the shot goes off, regardless of how little recoil is there.

With the action assembled off the stock, see at what angle the block will stay back and not fall forward to block the trigger on it's own. You'll need to know that info for when you do live fire later.
It usually takes quite a steep downward angle of the gun to drop the block forward on it's own weight.
Make sure when it is forward that it is indeed blocking movement of the trigger/sears in both selector positions.

Then with the stock on,,tip the gun down to engage the inertia block and see if you can (dry)fire it at all.
Do this in both selector positions.
If it does fire, the inertia block isn't working. The stock wood or something is interfering with it's movement.

If it works OK,,take it out for live fire. At a proper raised elevation to ensure the recoil block is not engaged, fire a few rounds and see if the gun doubles. It shouldn't with no spring tension at all for the inertia block to overcome, if that is in fact what the problem is.

You are just taking the question of spring tension out of the mix and seeing if the inertia block itself is working correctly.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen:

Thank you very much for all the goog advise.

First I will try the procedure kutter recomends, then if the shotgun does not double without the spring, I will try to thin the spring I already bought to make it weaker and install it.

As always, the best advise you can have regard shotguns is in this forum!

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.