May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (R. Glenz, 12boreman, obsessed-with-doubles, ksauers1, 2 invisible), 472 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,802
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle
There is a fantastic 396-page book named "Platines" by Laurent Bedu, that describes the most common sidelock systems: Beesley, Holland, "Scott", etc... and also includes the Italian ones Betretta, Zanotti, ... and the obscure ones such as Defourny and Francotte FASD.
The book is in French but I know that the author is working on an English translation.
Highly recommended.
WC-

Please encourage him to finish the translation - he has at least one customer if he does. I would love to pour through that!

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wildcat, thanks. If you ever find it in English, please share with me where I can get a copy.
Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will do.
I am biased with this book as one of my rifles is pictured in it.
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Yep, and the next gunsmith you show your gun to will say, “It’s not a nine pin lock it’s a seven pin lock” Like when you go to buy the ever controversial 45 Colt, some will say “There’s no such thing as a 45 Long Colt it’s a 45 Colt” or “Well, which one do you want the 45 Long Colt or the 45 Colt ACP” It’s all in who you talk too and if that certain someone had their wheaties pissed in that morning.

I hope this helps.

Sorry Treblig, who could confuse the .45 Colt with the .45 ACP ?? They are completely different cartridges. That is like mixing a boxlock with a sidelock ! best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I got the point Treblig was making. When you walk in that store & ask for .45 Colt, unless it is a clerk who knows you he has no idea which you have. Certainly if looking at the two cartridges there is no confusing them, but they both "ARE" .45 Colts.
Those who say there is no .45 Long Colt are technically correct, but it was made in two distinct lengths, so does not seem unreal to refer to the full length case as the Long Colt.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I didn’t want to do is steer this conversation away from the particulars of the sidelock.

And Mike, with all due respect, how can you introduce that derogatory term ‘Boxlock” into this conversation? It would be like a bunch of guys standing around discussing their vintage Bentley or Bugatti and a guy drives up in his old, beat up stationwagon trying his best to bust into the conversation. whistle smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your point would carry much more credence if you could spell...

Bentley.

Bugatti

Best stick to "sidelock."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can spell, eventually. See!!! smile
But enough about me, there are other excellent books that while they don't concentrate on the sidelock they do list all of the various English patents throughout the developement of the breech loading shotgun.
'The British Shotgun" in 3 volumes
by
I. M. Crudgington and D. J. Baker

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1846891175

Great information written by excellent writers!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig, derogatory term boxlock sounds odd after you see the nasty finish on the Zabala sidelock posted at the start of this thread. The reason such "work" can find buyers is precisely because some got caught up in the sidelock myths.

If a whole bunch of guys are discussing their "Bugatti" style sidelocks while cradling such cudgels in their arms, then my Droplock certainly does not belong in that company! LOL.

To get back to the pin numbers. The pattern of the mechanism is more important than the pins. How a maker arranges the masses of the sears and intercepting sears is more important, as is the smoothness of the surfaces that will allow parts, especially the sears, to work freely as the are supposed to in case of an accidental discharge.

Diagnosing pins from a quick look on the outside of locks is not much of a test. Just look at that Zabala again!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover, the nasty Zabala posted is mine. I put it there to show the how the pins/axels are used. Just because it is nasty looking to you does not mean that it shoots any less than a high quality side lock, and yes this is the station wagon that can go where the Bugatti's can't or won't.

David

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.