Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, the issue is that the "real" Francotte still makes guns (very few, very high end guns, usually sidelock double rifles). So in my opinion, this is a different problem.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Been looking forward to this thread...

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got a Gazalogue from them & was very surprised to see the Francotte guns there.
I thought Francotte were gone, had a small comeback, & were then gone for good....but I see now they have a site here on doublegunshop....
But for me , a "proper" Francotte would have to have VL&D on the bbls..& also the word Belgium...otherwise there is no history
franc

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I am surprised this is not the first time that a "Francotte" gun come to live again. If I good remember we have spoken about "Francotte" in the past and there was a member John Foster I think who told us that one of his friends make high grade Francotte guns in The Netherlands, I expected that he could show us the final product but we never have seen one.
Because I live in Belgium and I wanted to know the final truth and this truth is available in Liége (Chambre de commerce) They told me that the name "Francotte" could not be used on any NEW made gun, what is possible is that some of the semi finished guns who had the the name Francotte on it are finished now.Or maybe I am wrong again and John Foster can clear this definitively out for all of us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The price of $40K seems insane to me considering the engraving appears to be the same laser-cut scroll found on the A-10.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the exact same reaction - even taking into account that it appears to be a scaled action .410, that price seems off by a multiple of 2-3. But CSMC's pricing is typically a bit "optimistic"

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Francottes have always been pricey, comparatively speaking. At least as new guns. There was a time when they were "sleepers" on the used market, but not so much now as used to be the case. Back in 1936, Abercrombie advertised a Knockabout Ejector at $175, which was about $10 cheaper than a Parker DHE, about $60 more than a Fox CE or Elsie Specialty, $10 cheaper than an Ithaca 4E, $17 more than a Pigeon Grade Superposed.

GETTEMANS #318878 03/25/13 11:00 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GETTEMANS
I am surprised this is not the first time that a "Francotte" gun come to live again. If I good remember we have spoken about "Francotte" in the past and there was a member John Foster I think who told us that one of his friends make high grade Francotte guns in The Netherlands, I expected that he could show us the final product but we never have seen one.
Because I live in Belgium and I wanted to know the final truth and this truth is available in Liége (Chambre de commerce) They told me that the name "Francotte" could not be used on any NEW made gun, what is possible is that some of the semi finished guns who had the the name Francotte on it are finished now.Or maybe I am wrong again and John Foster can clear this definitively out for all of us.

Marc,

I agree. I would like to hear about this project as well.

Pete

PeteM #318880 03/25/13 11:16 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion, Abercrombie and Fitch killed the market for new Francottes by overpricing them. In about 1961, when I was young and curious, rooting through the gun room at A&F in New York, I was surprised to see Knockabouts offered at $425, with 28 and .410 at $485. I love a good Knockabout, but those prices would buy a much better grade of gun in 1961, like a Grade 3 Superposed. It would be interesting for Bob Beach to tell us how much A&F was paying for a Knockabout in 1961.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore, according to Schwing's book, a Pigeon (Grade II) Lightning 12 went for $450 in 1961. Pointer (Greade III) was $560. But the general inflation in prices of guns from Belgium caused A&F to switch to the Zoli-Rizzinis as their real "knockabout" sxs, although they continued to import Francottes as well. Same story with FN, which caused Browning to start importing Miroku-made doubles a decade or so later.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.