May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (bsteele, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Mark II, Hammergun, Dale May), 1,085 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,524
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, what did you and Mark think about the innards of the Dickinson trigger plate action? Those of the predecessor S&W side-by-side looked well made in the SSM photo by SDH -- in the concluding article of his recent series on trigger plate guns -- and his comments were favorable. We gonna see a Dickinson article from you soon?

Jay

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 02/19/13 10:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
No question you've got the edge there, Ted. You ever own a Petrik??

Got to play with a 20 gauge while in St. Etienne, that had too much drop and too much cast (going the wrong way for a lefty!) and while they are considered the bomb in Europe, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Very light, kicked like a mule (stock configuration didn't help, but, the gun was probably 5 lbs)

My Silver Snipe locks up just fine without the wiggly thing on the top.

Bruchet will build you a new one. Talk to Geoffroy, he'll look into it if he isn't completely disgusted yet.

Best,
Ted

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd throw out that the real weakness of the SL is its wrist being oft too thin/fragile to sustain even a minor fall. Not saying that a BL stock's wrist cannot be broken from same, only that for some types of rough hunting that falls are not unknown & I'd consider that the BL has a slight advantage there even when both have long tangs. I have seen SL stocks cracked & even broken from being in a rack that was blown over on a concrete pad at a shoot when a freak tornadic wind gust came up. I am surprised that in seven pages of discussion there is but one mention of stocks cracking as a possible disadvantage and that was a ref to one of the older authors on the subject. I'm not speaking of cracks here though I've observered them more frequently in SL's than BL's that I've had and examined. I've seen stock wrists broken on both types of guns, but in today's world anyway, the SL buttstock is going to be a lot more expensive to repair or replace. Lots to be said for the old Broomie adage that Gunman mentions. Many a fine gun has been made to immitate what ostensibly is a W&S 700.

OTOH, wrists and all of it aside, a well made hammer gun just has a certain special kind of appeal & can be a lot of fun to both admire & use.

Its a Ford pick up or Cadillac kinda question, but fun just the same.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
Old Brummie adage . A good box lock is better than a cheap sidelock ".
Educate me a bit, Mr. Englishman- what is a "Brummie" in your parlance. To me, being a member of the Mauser, Jan C. Still Luger and other Teutonic oriented gruppen-- it is slang for the C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser selbstlauter pistolen- auto- (self) loading pistol. If I had the Queen's fortune at my disposal, and could purchase any 12 bore ejector side-by-sdie game guns (why not a matched pair, ey wot?) they would be pre-War Boss- after that, Woodward, Churchill, Land and Powell. But I don't, so I shoot 12 bore LC Smiths- close enough, and the many birds that fall to them over a year's shooting (barn pigeons, crows, starlings, pheasants) don't seem to notice very much. Cheerio!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie
Larry, what did you and Mark think about the innards of the Dickinson trigger plate action? Those of the predecessor S&W side-by-side looked well made in the SSM photo by SDH -- in the concluding article of his recent series on trigger plate guns -- and his comments were favorable. We gonna see a Dickinson article from you soon?

Jay

Jay, looked like pretty good work. Nothing rough or anything of that nature. However, one problem is that the trigger pulls--which are heavy--can't be adjusted much because of the geometry of the sears. A review of the Dickinson will be published as a sidebar to an article on the current used shotgun market in Pointing Dog Journal. Per my notes, should be issue after next (May/June)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Educate me a bit, Mr. Englishman- what is a "Brummie" in your parlance.

A "Brummie" is someone who comes from Birmingham (sometimes known as Brumagam!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JohnfromUK
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Educate me a bit, Mr. Englishman- what is a "Brummie" in your parlance.

A "Brummie" is someone who comes from Birmingham (sometimes known as Brumagam!)
I learn something new every day, many thanks!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tw
I'd throw out that the real weakness of the SL is its wrist being oft too thin/fragile to sustain even a minor fall. Not saying that a BL stock's wrist cannot be broken from same, only that for some types of rough hunting that falls are not unknown & I'd consider that the BL has a slight advantage there even when both have long tangs. I have seen SL stocks cracked & even broken from being in a rack that was blown over on a concrete pad at a shoot when a freak tornadic wind gust came up. I am surprised that in seven pages of discussion there is but one mention of stocks cracking as a possible disadvantage and that was a ref to one of the older authors on the subject. I'm not speaking of cracks here though I've observered them more frequently in SL's than BL's that I've had and examined. I've seen stock wrists broken on both types of guns, but in today's world anyway, the SL buttstock is going to be a lot more expensive to repair or replace. Lots to be said for the old Broomie adage that Gunman mentions. Many a fine gun has been made to immitate what ostensibly is a W&S 700.

OTOH, wrists and all of it aside, a well made hammer gun just has a certain special kind of appeal & can be a lot of fun to both admire & use.

Its a Ford pick up or Cadillac kinda question, but fun just the same.

Well those Holland double rifle sidelock stocks seem to hold, all the way to .700NE smile best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the cracks seen in sidelocks are behind the locks. You'll see that fairly frequently on LC Smiths. That being said, it's not unusual to see boxlocks that are also cracked where the head of the stock meets the action. That's obviously a weak point.

No question that sidelocks, in general, are more expensive to restock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=L. Brown]Most of the cracks seen in sidelocks are behind the locks. You'll see that fairly frequently on LC Smiths. That being said, it's not unusual to see boxlocks that are also cracked where the head of the stock meets the action. That's obviously a weak point.

Behind the lock cracks could have also started at the head with a sidelock. When repairing cracks in sidelocks if the locks are snug with the crack open in it's present state I don't pull it back together after glueing. It is probably a wood schrinkage crack which is probably the cause with older sidelocks.

Last edited by Patriot USA; 02/21/13 01:44 PM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.