May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jeremy Pearce, Guy Ave, LeFusil, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 220 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,123
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Emilio Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It's about old english barrel I assume.
There is also proofmarks on the barrels like:
"best english martin's siemens steel", "18739", "RP" - under crown, "nitro proof", "choke 1 1/4", "12 over C" - in diamond, "BP, NP, BV" - under crowns...
It's cal. 12/65-70 (not sure), barrel length 70.3 cm, break in neck on left side, hammerless.
I can send some pictures too if it's needed.
Any information is welcome.

"Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems."
Emilio Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

"Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking boxlock receiver with the sculpted fences, sideclips and scroll engraving. Barrels look to be tighter than average bores at 13/1 and 14. Seimans steel indicates a higher quality steel was used in barrels. Appears to me a very nicely made box lock certainly worth preservation and repair if the barrels are in good internal shape and not already reamed out of proof. Couldn't see the "break in neck" in the photos so it must not be too severe and probably epoxy repairable. Barrels are certainly English (Birmingham Proofs) if that is your question. Only real metal blemish I see in photos is the buggered slot on the top lever screw but that can be cleaned up too.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 03/01/07 12:49 PM.
Emilio Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I found some new info.
First, it's not A. Mendorf & Wright Birmingham, but it's Altendorf & Wright Birmingham. Altendorf & Wright were gun furniture manufacturers & merchants since 1873 till 1915. Altendorf went into partnership with Wright after Hillebrandt left, retired or died.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a fairly high Original Quality grade gun. The scalloped reciever, chiseled fences and engraving attest to relatively high original price. The wood and finish appear from the photos to be of matching high grade. The 1¼ oz proof indicates original 2 3/4" (70 mm) chambers. I suspect this gun will weigh over 7¼ pounds (3.3 kg) and was originally intended as a light duck/high phesant gun or an export gun; amore poserful and rugged gun required for these purposes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice looking gun.

Here is what IGC has to say;

From 1868 to 1873 Altendorf was in partnership with Hillebrandt in the firm of Hillebrandt & Altendorf at 8 Weaman Street, Birmingham.
In 1873 Hillebrandt left, retired or died and Altendoft went into partnership with Wright at 20 Russell Street, St Mary's Square (George Allen's old premises).

In 1888 the firm took on additional premises at 24 Russell Street.

In 1890 the firm moved to 2-4 Vesey Street, and from 1901 to 1907 had additional premises at 7 Loveday Street.

They appear to have closed in 1915, more or less at the start of the First World War.

The firm were agents for A Fagnus & Co of Liege in a patent application (No 3353 of 1874) for a spring safety catch for a revolver.

Enjoy the new toy

Sidelock
Sidelock

The general style would tend to indicate a live pigeon trap gun. heavy action with side clips and the broad flat file cut rib. High pheasant guns are generally the more usual 2 1/2" at that period and 1 1/8 oz. is considered a heavy pheasant load even for the very high birds. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a pair of Greener G70 Imperials and they were proofed for 1 1/4oz, although fairly light guns. I have seen the 1 1/4 oz on several other higher grade Greeners, so it makes me wonder if it was a common "factory" thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

i think thats a crackin' gun...i just love the fence treatment.
what kind of 3rd bite is that on the rib extension???
Bloody nice Gun that I'd be proud to own
Nice one man
cheers
Franc

Emilio Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you so much about reply.
I wonder, if it's possible to find out the exact year of made by the serial number, since the serial number is 18739? Does the serial number indicate year?
"BP", "BV", "NP" proofs started in 1904 and by the IGC, Altendorf & Wright closed in 1915. It means that gun belongs to the time between 1904 and 1915, but I still don't know the exact year.

Franc, what do you mean by "what kind of 3rd bite is that on the rib extension???"? You mean bite on the rib extension at the beginning of the barrel or something else? If it's that, the bite is part of the locking system.

I'm posting 2 more pictures that show maybe some more details of the sides that are not visible at the previous ones.

Emilio

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.