May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lloyd3, Borderbill, Hal M Hare, mark), 266 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts546,002
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I grew up with poodles. Retrieving fanatics and the smartest dogs I've ever had anything to do with. I have allergies, can't be near my brother's Lab or my dad's old Weimaraner. And most other dogs with fur. But for some reason I'm not at all bothered by my Llewellin setters.

I'm also about the same age as you and have a nine year old boy. The boy and dog go well together. Would be worth the hassle of the meds.

Really hope your poodle works out.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Canvasback: No meds necessary with poodles for me. She will be our 4th poodle, but the first one that isn't essentially a lapdog. I really wanted a pointing dog, but the allergy issue kept me going back to where I felt safe. It's the hair versus fur thing I guess. Hair is not a problem; fur is. I have worked with a lovely English setter for the past 6-years and he's a wonderful family pet and a fully-finished hunting dog. But....generally by day two of being at work with him, I'm on antihistamines and ibuprofen to get through the day.

I'm hoping its as you mention, boy and dog go well together. Everything beyond that will be gravy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im guessing the dander is the issue since you really don't breathe much hair/fur in. Im allergic to about anything. But I seem to have built up tolerance to my lab and pointer. From what I've read, curly coated dogs tend to retain the dander (and loose hair) in the coat until brushed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello:

Nine years ago, I rescued a Pudelpointer. This dog became the "perfect" dog for our family.

It is a great dog for hunting pheasants and the best feature is that it does not "shed!" My wife insisted that our next dog be a dog that did not shed thus the Pudelpointer!

Our PP is a house dog and we do not have any problems with dog hair in the cars or the house!

I could go on about how great the PP is but if you are interested in my rantings, give me reply.

Oh yes, I did not have to train my dog to come, retreive or do anything that one would have to do for a bird dog. He was 5 months when we got him and he adapted very well to our life styles.

The down side is that he was/ and perhaps is fur sharp! If you have cats in your neighborhood, you will have to keep him under control! Cats in the neighborhood, "Not any more."

Check out the PP I think that you will be very satisfied.

Good luck,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
I've got to look that one up (never heard of it before). My research has narrowed it down to German shorthair or pudelpointer, but the jury is still out on the actual hypoallergenic factor on these two breeds. I'm mildly concerned about keeping such high-energy dogs around the house, but I'm still early into the research. I'd rather not get a "big going" dog, so something that stays close is still the goal. Don't want to bump too many ruffies! If pointers won't work, then maybe a hunting poodle?

I have a GSP. She is 13 going on 14 this year. I have often heard the "high-energy" tag applied to the breed. This usually comes from folks who get them as pets and do not hunt. From my experience, once a GSP learns to hunt they understand their place in the world. I also can not stress enough that a GSP, actually every dog, needs a good foundation with obedience training. When she got to be 5, she was something to behold in the field. She had figured out how to use the wild and could sweep a field looking for quail or pheasant. Today, she mostly sleeps, but when I her take to hunt, she still puts out the effort.

I do appreciate your quest for a good companion. Hope you find the right dog, no matter what breed...

Pete

Boxlock
Boxlock

PeteM I have a GSP that will be 14 in June and I couldn't agree more. I was warned when I first got Molly at 7 weeks that GSP's were crazy and she would tear up my house. I lived in a 1300 sf condo (with no yard) for the first 3 years of owning her and never once was she destructive. She was a true Urban Gun Dog. I'm in IT and was lucky enough to work at home and being in Silicon Valley my employer let us bring dogs in to work when I had to go in the office. I taught my dog the whoa command on my coffee table. I would hide bumpers around the condo and tell her to go find them and she would bring them back every time. It was a daily exercise that she absolutely loved. But there is nothing like the drive she has to hunt. To this day once I turn down the dirt rd where we hunt pheasants she starts whining and running around back and forth in anticipation to get out in the field. I'm biased but I have never had a smarter dog, easiest to train, or one with such prey drive and intensity, but could turn it off in the house. I know there isn't much time left as she can't hear very well and she is getting slower but she still has the drive and wants to fetch tennis balls 24/7.
The only negative for the OP is that GSP's shed and it is a different type of hair so he may want to spend a couple days with one to test for an allergic reaction.

Last edited by bc993; 02/14/14 01:24 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Oops. After reading through all the posts I see you already chose a poodle. Good luck and probably the best choice for your situation. You can't go wrong with any dog as long as it's trained and knows you are the boss.

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I looked at both types of dogs and the allergic component was what stopped me every time. Both might be all right, but I can't afford to gamble on that.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.