May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (KDGJ, 1 invisible), 570 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Idared Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got this in a trade and I really don't need another 30-06. I do feel that it is really to good to tear apart and sell piece meal as someone has invested a fair piece of change in it. So, before I put it up on Gunbroker, or dismantle it, I though I'd see if there is any interest here first.

It is my understanding Dennis Olson of Plains, MT did all the metal work and by past experience with Dennis's work I am quite sure that is true. It is a 1903 Springfield built by Remington Arms, the serial number being 30189XX. It still has the original military barrel and is chambered in 30-06. The action has been drilled and taped for both receiver sights and scope bases. It includes a set of steel Warne bases that accept Weaver style rings. The screws in the back base are a tad long but eveything else looks great. A new Talley bolt handle has been installed and it was a first class job. There has also been a Beuhler safety added which combined with the new bolt handle allow use of a scope. The military trigger has also been converted to single stage with what I have heard called a "Miller attachment". The trigger guard has been profiled at the back which is a nice touch. The shank of the barrel has been re-profiled to a more pleasing contour and there is also a Lyman band type sight included but not completely fitted to the barrel. The barrel is 24 inches and has a good bore.

I feel that with everything done to it, $375.00 shipped to your FFL dealer, from a non FFL, is a fair price. If by chance someone would prefer to buy this without some of the added things it has on it I will deduct for the removal of the following.
Buehler safety - $30.00
Lyman ramp front sifght - $25.00
Warne bases - $10.00
Miller trigger attachment - $10.00
So for instance if these 4 things are removed the price would be $300.00 shipped to your FFL dealer from a non FFL. Obviously I can't take off the new bolt handle or put the barrel back to original to lower the price further.

Although not as popular as the Springfield Armory 1903s are, this is still a very nice barreled action to make a Springfield sporter rifle. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Miller trigger stem works- increases the "fulcrum- so to speak' force to drop the tip from the sear notch--and being a Remington built receiver, no "single-double" heat treatment questions as with early Springfield Armory 1903's- are the last two serial numbers X'ed out? What is the marking on the barrel, and is it a 4 land and groove or a 2 land and groove. The "kill factor" for me is the BATFE reg about shipping receivers only through FFL-- I'd have to add the 4473 and "Stevie Nicks" paperwork fees to the cost- as I have a Redfield 10X sniper scope with rings kicking around, if I were to buy it, I would most likely pass on the front ramped sight-- are the Warne bases steel or aluminum--??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Idared Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Run With The Fox

P.M. sent.

Many thanks

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just out of curiousity:
Since this rifle is over 50 years old why can't it be shipped to someone with a C&R license?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't go to a C&R because it's not 'in it's original configuration'.
They couldn't be more confusing..but in this case it's pretty clear as it doesn't even have a stock.

Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?
The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The idiotcy of this ruling seems to be that if you put sporter stock on this barreled action it is not a C & R firearm, but if you put military one on it, it qualifies. This is insane, but what do you expect when our government is involved. The enforcement is very spotty, depending on various ATF agents mainly on the east coast. The west coast and mid parts of the country don't seem to be too concerned

Last edited by james-l; 01/04/13 11:19 PM.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good questions and insightful answers here- sound like the feds who worked up the C&R license rules and regs are related to the lawyers who design current CF rifles with 8 lb trigger pulls and the key-coded 'safety' locks on new weapons- Not to worry lads, if I end up buying this, it will be shipped to my FFL dealer and I'll cover the fee, do the 4473 and pass the "Stevie Nicks" background check easy as pie- sure is good to be an Honorably Discharged vet with no criminal record- the paperwork is an added cost to the FFL dealer, so he should be reimbursed- Me, I trust the Feds about as much as I trust Jane Fonda or Dianne Feinstein, so I don't apply for a C&R- my choice I guess.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
RJH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would not the word "importation" have any bearing on transfering it locally on a C & R ?

"Importation of military C & R firearms notes that they must be in original configuration"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think RJH is on to something. According to ATF in any other ruling. The receiver, for all intensive purposes, is the firearm. Replacing the stock would change configuration but the absence of any stock should not matter; think duffel cut war trophies. The gun in the picture is in its original configuration minus the wood. I don't see missing parts being discussed in the ruling; just substituted parts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Removed

Last edited by 1878; 01/07/13 10:41 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.