May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, Sandlapper, Borderbill, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,517
Posts545,694
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#304616 12/16/12 01:01 PM
tw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I noticed on the ten gauge mag thread Researcher's comments on chilled shot being $.20/hundred higher for some of the BP ammo offered at an earlier time, a significant upward price from the same ammo loaded with 'regular' shot, whatever that was.

Does this mean that chilled was harder or higher quality than 'drop shot' or 'regular' shot? I thought most all of the shot was made by molten lead being dropped into water or some coolant & so 'chilled'. I know some of it was rolled as well, S&B, for one, making it that way for many years & perhaps even now. I'm told that RC makes theirs in that manner.

Perhaps only a change of nomenclature over time, but I think of 'chilled' shot as being 'soft shot' & at least term wise interchangeable with 'drop shot' and not alloyed. Not positive on the meaning in the ad being ref'd. What is the real deal? Anyone know?

Perhaps we've already been down this road, I don't recall; thinking that the entry into today's 'magnum' shot thing [not magnum loadings] came along w/Winchester/Western's Luballoy & the Super X Double X loadings and then much more recently with the much harder shot offered in post cold war target ammo of the 1960's and beyond.

A good discussion of lead shot quality and the evolution of terms in use might be in order, I know I could stand some enlightenment. Lots of hype in those old advertisments. What was it exactly they were paying extra for? Who had the best shot, how was it being made? Seems most discussions of the time were much more concerned with the brand of powder being used.

tw #304642 12/16/12 03:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 60's Remington claimed their shot making process was the highest volume precision manufacturing process in the world. Shot was dropped into water, then was poured down a series of pie-shaped trays. Round shot would go straight down to the next tray where the process was repeated. Irregular shot would roll off the side of the pie-shaped tray, and went back into the melter

tw #304650 12/16/12 03:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Practically all shot has always been made by pouring molten lead through a plate with holes in it and letting it fall for a distance, which forms the droplets into little spheres. They then fall(fell) into water, which cooled them and caused a very slight hardening.

The first was pure soft lead, but eventually had slight amounts of antimony added to it to harden it. The antimony hardened shot then became known as chilled shot and the pure lead shot became known as drop shot.

The word "chilled" really does not imply that it was chilled any more than drop shot. Just their way, at the time, of differentiating between the two.

This info from George C. Nonte's Firearms Encyclopedia, copyrighted 1973.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tw #304732 12/16/12 11:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every thing I have ever read on this co-incides exatly with what Stan has posted. Have also seen the difference in number of shot per ounze for the two types, as I recal for #6 it was 218 for drop & 225 for chilled, or a gain of 7 pellets due to the very slight reduction of density.
Also in the early days one had to also name the tower shot was produced in when stating size as every tower had their own designations. An 1892 Lefever catalog for instance list a mumber of different towers with corresponding number per ounze, each being different. By their 1913 catalog they showed only one size which is essentially the same as today, only variation being from actual density of the alloy.
The Tower sizing which was finally standarized on was Tatham Bros of New York. With this standard the base line (Size B) was .170" with each whole size downward being .01" & half sizes being .005". I don't recall all the upward sizes bu BB is .180, which is .003" larger than .177" "Air Rifle" shot which we mostly call BB's. The development of shot is actually a rather interesting subject.
For any shot size larger than #10 simply put a 0 in front of the nubber & subtract from.170 & you get the dia of the shot as .170 - 06 =.110" or the average nominal dia of #6 shot. For #10 & smaller leave off the leading 0.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
tw #305146 12/19/12 12:51 PM
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

My understanding is slightly different than what is represented above. As far as I know, all lead shot has some antimony or some other hardening agent in it. Chilled shot has essentially become a marketing term with no real meaning. It doesn't indicate how much antimony is in the lead. The term Magnum shot is usually indicative of a higher level of antimony, but higher than what, since they don't give comparative numbers. Tom Roster(sp) I believe, did an article comparing differently marked lead shot that one can buy fior reloading. The inconsistency between what the shot is marketed as and the actual comparative hardness was striking.

Last edited by MIKE THE BEAR; 12/19/12 12:52 PM.
tw #305154 12/19/12 01:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I get my reloading supplies from Dawson and they offer Lawerance brand shot in chilled or magnum. The chilled is 50 cents a bag cheaper. The magnum says " high antimony " on it. How much, who knows. Paul

tw #305161 12/19/12 01:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike;
I think you are simply not looking back far enough in history. To the best of my knowledge, although admitting the shot Cos do not consult with me, all shot produced today & in fact for a good many years does in fact have some antimony in it.
This I believe was not always the case & old catalogs etc for shot do indeed offer both Drop & Chilled & charts of number per ounce vary in their numbers, indicating a difference in the density (aloy or lack thereof)of the shot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
tw #305255 12/19/12 09:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

I was referring to the initial use of the words "drop" and "chilled", not what they actually represent today. Fact of the matter, I don't think you can even buy shot today that is designated "drop". I think you are right that nearly all shot today has some antimony (Sb) in it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.