May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, welder, bushveld), 656 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Adam. That is a beautiful shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bilious Bob
Hmmm... Ever wonder why Holland & Holland or Purdey doesn't have warranty repair stations?

Then again, that's just being a gun snob...

That is because they want all service work done at the factory. You can find Purdeys and H&Hs made back in the 70s and 80s that aren't up to snuff, and there is a another current thread discussing problems with A&S Famars, which cost more than most Spanish guns.

If you take apart an Arrieta 801/802/803 or an AyA Model 1, those guns are well finished, and at $10-15K for a completely bespoke sidelock, you will be very hard-pressed to match that quality anywhere close to that price. Arrieta apparently does not make much money on their 500 series guns and may drop them and limit their production to higher end guns like Grulla and Arrizabalaga have done.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Joe Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No one here has mentioned Garbi. I have 3 Garbis and all are wonderful, beautifully made sidelocks. I had a 28 ga. AYA 4/53 "Cabela's Classic" and it had LOTS of quality issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree about Garbi.... they are fine pieces and don't get the attention they deserve.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: larryguy

One respondent above mentioned the popularity of the AyA in the UK - I can tell you that the AyA of the UK is NOT the AyA you see in the U.S. Many of the Brit guns come partially finished, depending on order, and are 'gone over' by Brit gunsmiths - from internal finishing, to bluing, engraving and even stocking on some of the AyA's brought in in the white. The British dealers in the Spanish guns seem to hold the makers to a higher standard than our dealers do.

Many English companies work with Spanish makers to tailor guns for the English market. William Powell and Churchill, for example, both work with Arrieta. However, these gun are completely built in Spain. They are simply made to specs layed out by the Brits. I doubt seriously British gunsmiths go over every gun imported to England. I could be wrong though. I would be very impressed if it were true.

One exception is the AYA #1 DELUXE. The ones that goes to England are finished in England.... blacking, engraving (by Geoff Moore), color case (by St. Ledger), and stock finishing. The ones that comes to U.S. are finished in Spain. But as far as I know, this is the only exception in the AYA line. The other models should be the same, no matter what country they're bound for. But if you know something I don't, please share. Not trying to be a smart-a$$, just want learn the truth.

Thanks

Adam

R_W Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would not trade my AyA #2 20 gauge for anything.

Just saying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Grulla 216RL that had one barrel shoot 8" low at 16 yards. Grulla said this was in "spec". GSI/Merkel knew this was crap and replaced it for me at great cost. Grulla quality is spotty, and they do not stand behind their product. IMHO.

-Shoot Straight, IM
larryguy
Unregistered
larryguy
Unregistered

Adam: In the 90's most if not all of the AyA's coming into the UK were 'inspected' by the importers gunsmiths. I had this confirmed by two major dealers of the guns at the time. That may very well have changed and if I made the statement based on historic information and am wrong, I apologize. Speaking with William Powell about their imported but Powell badged Arrieta's, they told me that each gun is inspected by them before sale, and in many cases they apply extra finish to the wood.

Visiting the UK last summer and a few gunshops and shooting grounds, my observations of their Spanish guns for sale reinforces my belief that the guns going to the UK from Spain are 'better' in a number of areas than those coming to the U.S.

I cannot comment on Garbi or Grulla - the one Grulla I handled externally was beautiful in all respects.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Larry. I wonder if the English-badged Spaniards (from the likes of E.J. Churchill or William Powell) are avaiable state-side. I wish I could inspect some in person.

Thank you again.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

They look so darn good but so often are like a song that's a half note off.

Looking at a top of the line Grulla today. $20000 best sidelock without a third fastener, not terrible but why. The barrels didn't look right, not sure why, manufacture, over stress? Why should a Best Gun barrel not look right? I'm willing to overlook a minor imperfection in $800 gun but not in a $20000 gun.

Hard to sing their praise when they are a half note off.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.