May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (NCTarheel, DaveB, NTaxiarchis, Tim in PA), 307 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,767
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lochlan Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just bought this shotgun it is definitely not a show piece. It is an under lever design and is in 14 bore with all English Birmingham proofs and no Belgium markings it also has CS stamped on the underside rib. I have seen many of the Belgian knock offs of Westley Richards but this one seems much higher quality and does not look like one. It has real engraving similar to my Liverpool Howdah. Has anyone heard of William Richards of Liverpool or have a gun by him? I only picked it up because it was interesting I know it is not a Westley.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too have a W Richards bearing Birmingham proofs. Mine is a side lever with a single underbolt. Barrels also carry a 14 mark, but the chambers are 12ga. Gun was proofed prior to the chamber marks. It is in very poor condition, I keep it because it belonged to my Grandfather. I personally do not believe my gun is of the quality one would have suspected from one built by William Richards so have no idea as to by who or where it was built.
From your description yours sounds like a higher grade gun than mine, hopefully it was by William.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"W.Richards" was also one of the many names used by J.P. Clabrough & Bros. for their inexpensive 'hardware store' guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve;
Thanks for that info, this could well be what mine is. Do you have any info as to the dates Clabrough used the W Richards name. As mine does not have the chamber mark I presume it to be a pre 1887 gun. As I said it is a side lever (left side) opener with a single underbolt & no rib extension. It has back action locks with a round frame, Straight grip stock with long tang trigger guard & brass shield in lower stock. Originally had a tip insert of some kind in the splinter forend, the tip now gone. Though worn near smooth appears to have had reasonable quality checkering & some light scroll engraving. It does appear to have been a step or so above most of the Belgian made guns I have seen bearing this name, but still not a real high quality one. Might well indeed fit in with a lower grade Clabrough.
Markings are W Richards on each lockplate & then W Richards London Laminated Steel on the top rib.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

W. Richards of London (and then of Liverpool) was founded by William Richards. They are still in business to this day and are of no immediate relation to Westley Richards.

W. Richards was a name used for knock-off guns in Belgium and sold in the Americas even before Westley Richards was well enough known to be a subject of "knock offs". So either they were making knock offs of the real W. Richards or they were just picking arbitrary Anglo names to give the product some esteem.

Here is a best grade English Made W. Richards of Liverpool gun that I've consigned with a gun shop. It was owned by a very wealthy Baronet in England and as you can see, it is a truly best gun not to be confused with Belgian hardware store junk.

http://coveyandnye.com/purveyor-of-fine-...ards-best-grade

Last edited by Rookhawk; 08/09/12 12:14 PM.
Lochlan Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I looked at my gun again and it is a side lever. I got an under lever also and mixed them up. I think me a 2 piper are talking about much the same gun. Could the C.S. Stamp on the under side barrel rib possibly be Clabrough and Sons? That would explain it looking better than a Belgian but still not a high grade gun. 2 piper does your gone have the C.S. between the chambers on the underside rib?

Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper,
I have a copy of an 1886 job sheet from John P. Moore's Sons, New York that has "Clabrough's make, marked W. Richards, Laminated steel barrels, ..." for sale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any pictures??

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lochlan;
The short section of under rib, about 2˝" long, between the flats & forend lug is missing on my gun. It was that way when I got it, so have no idea if there was a CS mark there or not. It has the Birmingham provisional proof mark the two marks with crossed sceptors, one for definitive proof & the other the View mark, 14 & one other mark which I do not rcall what its supposed to be. It is stamped rather deep & left a small square depression in the bbls but I cannot decipher what if anything is in the bottom. These marks are on each bbl ahead of the flats, no marks on flats at all. The right bbl has a 3 stamped alongside the forend lug. Each action flat carries the view mark. Forend is a snap off. Bores currently measure .001"-.002" smaller than a 13ga as best as I can measure their rough condition. Prior to 1887 the gauges were not marked with the in between sizes as 14/1 so these may be very close to the original size considering the 12ga chambers.

Steve;
If you are able to post a pic of that Job Sheet I would like to see it also. That 1886 date would certainly be compatible with the proofs on this gun & its looking more & more like this may be what I have. I have no idea at what point in life my Grandfather acquired it or If he bought it new or used. He was born in the late 1860's after his Father had finihed his service to the CSA so would have been approaching 20 when this gun may have been built.

Miller/TN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.