May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Longknife, Chantry, montenegrin, Guy Ave, Jtplumb, battle), 926 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,500
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roger that, but they would still have WAFFENNAMTS which this one doesn't. My Bad Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, the Waffenstamps can be ground off as well.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I suppose someone could grind the extremely small marks off all the parts, even though most of the pre-war guns went so far as to even mark screw heads! FWIW I tend to think a Mauser action completely devoid of military markings has a better than even chance of being commercial, in some form or fashion.

RJH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have that style of bolt stop, with the raised pad under the screw head, on a few late model military 98's made @ Brno and also on the commercial Brno 21/22 rifles. Looks like that type of stop gets around.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RJH: THANKS FOR THE INFO! Jerry

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

IT'S HERE! Workmanship is first rate. Some details... The small hand carved Schnabel forend tip is made of buffalo horn and held on by a bisbuit not a dowel. The gripcap [no screw] is horn, but strangely it is of a different type, no grain unless you really look hard and Black as Texas Tea, but definitely some type of animal horn not plastic or ebony. The trigger is single stage and breaks at 2.75 lbs by digital scale, like a glass rod. The action has no marks whatsoever except the number 03 on the bottom and a mark that looks like an L WITH TWO SMALLER HORIZONTAL MARKS ON THE VERTICAL SHAFT FORMING AN F. As in LF or FL. No words, serial numbers etc. IT DOES NOT APPEAR ANY GRINDING WAS DONE ANYWHERE BUT I KNOW IT IS STILL POSSIBLE. The bolt does not match and looks to be military maybe one from an early/mid 20's 98. The Maynard Buehler safety as well as the low scope checkered bolt handle, appear to be later additions as does the 20" barrel with no sights/markings/holes, as it has also worn a Lyman 48 in an EARLIER CONFIGURATION. The bore is pristine. The BLUING IS 99.9 WITH JUST A FEW TINY HANDLING MARKS, BUT IS NOT A RECENT REBLUING! The STOCK IS DEFINITELY A CUSTOM JOB of Reddish French Walnut. The Stock finish is not as lucky as the bluing, while original and about 90%, it appears to date to the 30's-40's, it has no real damage except for a small gouge in the upper forend and some waterspoting [foxing] in the finish. I USED A TINY DAB OF POLISHING COMPOUND MIXED WITH RENAISANCE WAX AND GENTLY RUBBED. Approx. 70% OF IT IS GONE WITH NO FINISH DAMAGE. The HAND INLETTING ON THIS RIFLE WAS THE TIGHTEST I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY 50 YEARS HANDLING GUNS! I NEEDED A WOODEN DOWEL AND RUBBER MALLET, TO REMOVE BOTH THE TRIGGERGUARD ASSEMBLY AND THE BARRELLED ACTION...VERY SLOWLY!!!SIMPLY UNBELIEVABLE!!! The checkering 26 lpi is perfect...nuff said! The stock has no swivels or studs or provisions for such, nor has it ever had any! The recoil pad is a very early Pachmayr [right after they bought NO-SHOK] hard but still pliable. The BROKEN SCREW CAME RIGHT OUT! It looks like someone was trying to drill and tap a second rear hole for 2 piece scope bases [included with gun] and didn't know about how hard the surfazce was [barely a scratch!]. The gun has been thoughly cleaned and refurbed by me but the chamber's identity has yet to be determined [I'll get to that later today]. When I get it reassembled and a scope mounted I'll send a few pictures for someone to post. Later Jerry

P.S. ANYONE WITH A NOS OR MINT REDFIELD [PRE CHINA...U.S.A. ] ONE PIECE 98 MAUSER [NOT F.N.] SCOPE MOUNT FOR SALE PLEASE PM ME. THANKS

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys:I put a 30/06 in the muzzle and it went in to within 1/32 of the case neck and bullet cannelure. The bullet was a Remington 140 gr. Core-Lokt in the Reduced Recoil line. The cartridge which had never been chambered, was run through the magazine, and then chambered. The round was rather difficult to close the bolt on [action was out of stock and leverage was difficult] but was easier to extract and ejected fine. What say you? 30-06 or not?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think your test is inconclusive. I tried a 30-06 round against the muzzle of a couple of 03's and get about 1/16" between the muzzle and the top of the case. But that could be due to a difference in how the muzzles were crowned or muzzle wear. I found no difficulty in chambering round with the action removed from the stock but that could be to grease in the chamber.

I see that you have a digital trigger pull scale, do you also
have a vernier caliper that you could use to measure the bore
diameter?

I took at a look at some of the other rifles that your seller was peddling, two looked very similar to yours in terms of stock shape. One had been chambered in 275 H&H the other in 300H&H. So maybe yours is also chambered for some British cartridge. A chamber cast maybe the way to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When in doubt I always use Cerrosafe and do a chamber cast, especially on all my older German/European rifles. Better to err on the side of caution.

Last edited by texraid; 08/15/12 10:22 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.